PDA

View Full Version : foxface sting, help!

justinl
04-23-2007, 04:04 AM
Has anyone ever had one of their fish stung by a foxface? What kind of symptoms did it show?

I have a carpenters wrasse and today i found him breathing fast and hard. He is capable of movement but stays lying on his side.

tank params all show normal (salinity=1.025, ammonia/nitrite/ate near zero, etc). I don't know what happened. The tank is a 55gal with a foxface, one very peaceful yellowtail damsel, one mantis who is currently molting (sits in his hole and hasn't come out for a week), and of course, a sick carpenters wrasse. I did do a 5gal water change, but nothing much changed (params i mean).

marie
04-23-2007, 04:15 AM
My foxface stabs my achilles all the time and the only thing that happens is the achilles stays away from the foxface for a few hours.
I've seen my regal angel actually grab one of the foxfaces spines in her mouth and shake it with no ill effects. Are you sure it's the foxface?

justinl
04-23-2007, 04:19 AM
i have no idea if it was the foxface or not to be honest. I just don't know what else might have happened. hmm. sounds like your tang doesn't care. although tangs are quite a bit bigger and more robust than this somewhat delicate wrasse. *sigh* i do hope he pulls through

I moved the wrasse into a mesh container thing with some LR in it. Just wanted to separate it from the other fish. It is still in the same display tank. I see no visible abnormalities on the fish... actually the coloration seems quite birght and healthy if it weren't for the breathing and imobility.

marie
04-23-2007, 04:23 AM
i have no idea if it was the foxface or not to be honest. I just don't know what else might have happened. hmm. sounds like your tang doesn't care...
Well, my tang and my foxface do have issues. So far the foxface is winning the battle :lol:

niloc16
04-23-2007, 04:49 AM
i have seen wrasse's sit in the sand for a day or so once i first go them. he may have got into a fight with a fish and is just stressed.

Richard_Dicosimo
04-23-2007, 05:08 AM
i have been stung by my foxface once... it was extremely painful, my entire arm was in pain, the pain went away after about 3 hours.

Richard

justinl
04-23-2007, 06:18 PM
crap. I found a dead fish today. sigh. thx anyways for the help everyone.

bubblepuffer
04-23-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't trust yellowtail damsel.. they're all psyco

justinl
04-23-2007, 06:57 PM
that's what i thought at first too, but seriously, mine is very docile. Ive never seen her attack anything at all. but then, who knows, maybe she had a bad day and decided to take it out on the pretty red fish.

Skimmerking
04-24-2007, 12:39 AM
picture a fox face stinging with the strenght of 5 hornets its very painful like a wasp bite or a hornet I can't have one if I do i can die from it actually if a bee stings me Im a gonner......

cav~firez22
08-23-2007, 12:42 PM
i have been stung by my foxface once... it was extremely painful, my entire arm was in pain, the pain went away after about 3 hours.

Richard

so its not as bad as a lion fish' sting?

I just bought a fox face, and hes spooked to hell right now. i may have to dig in the tank and re arange some rocks, but just curious as to how severe the sting would be....

justinl
08-23-2007, 08:09 PM
it's like a really bad bee sting... Dont know how it would compare to a lion's though (although Id use the same description for both). Id say it's probably painful enough that rearranging rocks can probably wait until another day when the fish isnt spooked.