PDA

View Full Version : Tips for keeping a DSB

Aflac
04-22-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm leaning towards doing a DSB because I really like the look of the sand in a reef tank. I've read the million threads out there between DSB and BB tanks and it seems to be a toss up.

It'll be a 40g with roughly 20g sump.

I'm just curious if those out there that have been successful can chime in with some tips and hints to make a DSB last.

Thanks in advance,

Reefer Rob
04-22-2007, 05:40 PM
Tip #1: If you still want to do a DSB you need to read more. They need to be recharged with infauna that is not available in Canada every 6 months. When I took my DSB out it was really disgusting after only 2 years. I now run 3/4" of sand just for the look, and siphon it 1 or 2 times a month.

justinl
04-22-2007, 05:59 PM
yup, i agree with reefer rob. shallow sand is better imo.

BCOrchidGuy
04-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Get live sand from as many places as you can, local stores etc, a pound or two from each and seed your sand bed with it, some small stars etc. will do nicely as well but let your sand bed get established before you add stars (they eat pretty much everything they encounter in the sand). As was suggested, a DSB is a lot of work, do as much research as you can, and be prepared for a long long long break in period. I had a DSB in my refugium (50 gallon) that was above my old 90 gallon, live rock rubble, live sand etc all contributed to making it live. As I said, lots of live sand from everywhere I got away from DSB's as I'm not convinced it's the best way to go for my likes. If you want sand diving fish etc then for sure a DSB is a nice way to go.

Doug

michika
04-22-2007, 10:32 PM
I second all the recommendations for further research. I would also suggest if you are going to go that route that you plan on getting something to turn over/stir up your bed frequently; sand sifting starfish, lipstick conch, etc.

I run a DSB, which is around 4-6" in my 230g. For the most part the top stays white and turned over because of my sand sifters, but at the same time there is also an accumilation of crap between the glass and the sand that never gets touched. Visually and aesthetically its ugly, so plan to clean or manually turn over the sand next to your glass.

Good luck!