PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate levels

jordsy
04-21-2007, 11:52 PM
I bought a 90 gal tank already set up. We used the water he had and 90lbs of live rock. Although we used brand new sand.
Its been up and running for a month and a half and ive been testing quite often. I just found out my test kit for nitrates was way off. the new test kit says my nitrates are about 25ppm. Ive heard this is high so i did a 25% water change and a week later did a 50% water change....
My nitrates still have not come down much and i tested the source water and there is no nitrate level expressed.
How can I get these nitrates down???? I dont over feed but I am also gettin some algae growth on the rocks now...

KrazyKuch
04-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Water Changes and The best way personnaly is Macro Algea...check your source water for Phosphates!

Reefer Rob
04-22-2007, 01:47 AM
Likely you had die-off on your rock from the move. Given time it should come down provided you don't have too much livestock in your tank. Your tank will go through a lot of different stages as in establishes itself, I wouldn't worry about it unless it threatens your corals (if you have any). 25 ppm won't hurt anything, but your corals won't "color" nicely at that level.

jordsy
04-22-2007, 01:49 AM
ok thanks.... whats micro algae and can you buy it?
... Should I have used some of the established sand or was it ok to use all new sand?