PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Peacock Mantis I have seen

Fishfanatic
04-21-2007, 09:16 PM
I was just at Aquagiant and they have the biggest nicest peacock mantis shrimp I have even seen. They want $70 for him and he 6-8 inches long is that a good price?

Ticketyboo
04-21-2007, 10:00 PM
wow..... an 8 inch mantis??? is that mans inches or real inches?

I would pay that :biggrin: i think local stores here are charging $45 for 3 inch G.Smithii's.

Big note though... thats a pretty big Peacock... so your for sure going to need an acrylic tank.

:biggrin:

bulletsworld
04-22-2007, 03:48 PM
I was just at Aquagiant and they have the biggest nicest peacock mantis shrimp I have even seen. They want $70 for him and he 6-8 inches long is that a good price?

Peacock Mantis that size is full grown. Peacock mantis are also way bigger in size then the other small variety Mantis out there. Even though you dont see them selling in Edmonton like ever, $70 is really steep price for this one.

I just purchased a Peacock Mantis last week for around $40 at ReefWerks (www.reefwerkz.ca) . I know they currently dont have them in stock but you can request a special order. Talk to Russ or Ryan over there.

The Peacock Mantis is definitely the most colorful and fasinating, alien like creatures to have. But they do have to be in a large tank on their own. They can't be with any fish, corals, or inverts, they kill everything they can get there smasher on.

:mrgreen:

Skimmer Juice
04-22-2007, 04:09 PM
Actually, I owned a 8inch peacock for the last 2 years, you can use any tank. The mantis is not going to break your glass unless prevoked. Mine was in a 50gallon glass aquarium, I ussualy hand fed him all the time, I read mantis shrimp learn to recognize people. Mine was viscious whem I put anything in with him, but never cared one bit about me, I sont recomend getting live fish to feed as he might hit the glass trying to catch his dinner.

Ruth
04-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Man I would love to buy that! Anyone wanna buy it and put it on the bus for me?

bulletsworld
04-23-2007, 05:35 AM
Actually, I owned a 8inch peacock for the last 2 years, you can use any tank. The mantis is not going to break your glass unless prevoked.

I agree with you here. This is the second mantis I have owned now and not once did I have a problem with keeping them both in a all glass tanks. The Peacock (I have) never makes knocking or clicking sounds. The other one though (green smasher - name excapes me) knocked on his tube all the time, drove me crazy!

justinl
04-23-2007, 06:33 AM
okay i just want to clear up a few things that seem to be muddy here. A full grown O. scyllarus (peacock mantis) reaches a max of less than 8inches. 7inches is a large one. These are only capable of smashing glass after they pass the 6inch mark. To be safe acrylic is obviously the best choice, but thick glass will suffice as well. For example, Oceanic biocubes uses quite thick glass.

price? that's an iffy question. Id say yes that is on the high side (for a few reasons... keep reading), although i have seen peacocks go at anywhere between free and 100$ US. Good prce imo is anything under 50$ for a ealthy peacock.

why might this mantis be a bad buy? Well, that depends on your lights too. Peacocks are prone to developing a shell disease that, if ignored, will eventually prove fatal. in adults it is worse. in male adults it is worse still. high light promotes shell disease. the mantis may even start to grow algae on itself. If the algae gets developed enough the algae will penetrate the carapace and by this stage, the mantis is 99% likely to be a goner. so take lighting into consideration for a peacock. also note that at that size, i don't think the mileage is gonna last a lot longer.

tank mates. depends entirely on the mantis' personality. he may decide to own the tank and destroy al that moves. he may be passive and let everything be. yay for hippy mantids. the test that is generally used is a yellowtail damsel.

corals are another story. few mantids will smash em up for no reason. some small ones are even reef safe if all the frags are glued to pices of LR too big to be moved (at least 2X the mantis' body size). at that size, a peacock is in no way "reef safe". peacocks are usually kept alone or with one or two fish in a MINIMUM 25gal tank.

dunl
04-23-2007, 01:50 PM
High price for Edmonton? No. Well, that was until Reefwerkz started ordering them in.

High price for everywhere else - yes.

Ruth - talk to Muck or Rusty about getting one in for you and shipping it up to Ft. St. John. I'd suggest a large thermos securely enclosed in a waterproof bag.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-23-2007, 02:04 PM
peacocks are usually kept alone or with one or two fish in a MINIMUM 25gal tank.

Wow! That's a lot of space devoted to one shrimp. This may be a really stupid question (and likely already covered), but could you keep several of them together in a big-ish tank (33G)?

dunl
04-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Wow! That's a lot of space devoted to one shrimp. This may be a really stupid question (and likely already covered), but could you keep several of them together in a big-ish tank (33G)?

Only until they eventually knock off all the competition and one is left. :(

With dividers, possibly.

justinl
04-23-2007, 06:25 PM
yup like dun said, the unfortunate answer is an absolute no. Most mantids will just pick eachother off until one or none are left. It is possible for a few to coexist for a few species to coexist given the proper conditons but most mantis owners don't bother with the risk.

mating is another issue. a few species will form monogamous pairs but most will mate then leave. in a tnak they obvisouly can't get away anywhere so the smaller mantis will usually die. not fun. besides, raising mantis larvae is MUCH more difficult than raising most fish larvae.

bubblepuffer
04-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Actually you can bargain price for anything in AG =) I bargain a lot there for better price.

dunl
04-25-2007, 02:20 AM
So what do you think they would take for the mantis?

bubblepuffer
04-26-2007, 04:52 PM
look for that big guy in the office, he is the owner that you need to talk to when it come to price.

saltaddict
04-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Went to AG to see the peacock mantis. OMG this thing is beautiful and like 6". Real good find for whomever gets em.

Psyire
05-24-2007, 04:49 AM
I was in AG yesterday and remembered reading about this post while I was looking around. (I had a peacock that mysteriously died on me a few months back, and have since been looking for another)

I didn't think they would still have this guy there, but once I was near the back of the store I started hearing a familiar 'crack, crack'. (or perhaps this was a new one they have received since) Anyhow, I was quite happy to bring home this new addition to the family. I haven't got a good look yet, but I believe it's a 'she'.

For anyone who hasn't seen or owned a mantis before, these creatures are amazingly beautiful and highly interactive. They make great saltwater pets.