PDA

View Full Version : How do I catch fish in reeftank?

Twisted-1
04-21-2007, 05:33 PM
I figure I have to many fish in my reef tank. How would be the best way to catch these fish?? I have no way of removing any rock from the tank so how would I do this?

I have a coral beauty, dragon wrasse (always moves my frags around), pijama cardinal, and posibly a Niger trigger. If anyone knows any tricks to catching these fish please let me know. They all run and hide when the net comes in. I might try to catch them when it's feeding time but other then that I have no chance.

Thanks for any help.

King of the Sea
04-21-2007, 05:37 PM
I catch all my fish at night with the lights out they can't see it coming:lol:

seashells
04-21-2007, 07:26 PM
YOU CAN BUY OR RENT A FISH TRAP. i CAUGHT 2 DAMSELS & 2 CHROMIS WITH ONE. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT & WATCH.

Joe Reefer
04-21-2007, 07:55 PM
I use a small fly fishing hook tipped with a mysis. Works like a charm.

draco
04-22-2007, 04:03 AM
use the bottle trick it is listed under "how to catch hitch hickers" on this same page

surgeonfish
04-22-2007, 04:56 AM
I have also caught damsel fish using a baited nonbarbed fish hook. It only took me a few minutes.

Skimmerking
04-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Yuppers I small 12 gauge fish hook with the barb taken out will work that is how i caught my blenny.. and night catching will work too ... or take all the rock out like whta i did before:sad:

bubblepuffer
04-23-2007, 08:42 PM
A Rapala Pro fishing rod and black worm.. work like a charm.. fish love it..

ponokareefer
04-23-2007, 09:15 PM
I'm not sure if you guys are serious about the whole fishing hook thing or not. Does it really work?

Joe Reefer
04-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I dont actually use a fishing rod, but I am dead serious about using a hook.:mrgreen:

Scavenger
04-23-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure if you guys are serious about the whole fishing hook thing or not. Does it really work?

Hook and line work great. I've even used a fishhook cut off at the shaft (just the straight part of hook) impailed with bait, to wean picky eaters off live food only.

Here are a couple tips I'd like to add.

1: Use a hook small enough to get in its mouth, but not easily swallowed.
2: Snip or squeeze the barb with plyers.
3: Any fishing store with fly tying materials will have hooks right down to the size of a gnat.
4: If you are a fisherman, ignore the instinct to "Set the hook!"
5: Don't wait for a for sure hookup, pull out right away on the fish hitting the hook. This avoids swallowing hook.
6: have a large fish fallout zone and fish pickup method ready incase you loose it off the hook.
7: a valid fishing licence! <wink>

ponokareefer
04-23-2007, 10:27 PM
The fish that you guys catch don't die through all of this? I mean, I've fished for a lot of years and know that the fish you release swim away, but after that, who knows. Plus, it's a lot different when you might be dealing with a $100 fish. I don't doubt you do it, but I'd just be scared I'd kill it. Has anyone ever bought a fish from someone who caught it for you like this?

Ryan

Scavenger
04-23-2007, 10:46 PM
The fish that you guys catch don't die through all of this? I mean, I've fished for a lot of years and know that the fish you release swim away, but after that, who knows. Plus, it's a lot different when you might be dealing with a $100 fish. I don't doubt you do it, but I'd just be scared I'd kill it. Has anyone ever bought a fish from someone who caught it for you like this?

Ryan

I've kept wild caught fish in the past like this. I think it's better for the fish than a net any day. If you net a fish, you can rub off its protective slime, remove scales and the fish will be suseptable to fungus and decease. If you hook him, well, all he has is a pierced lip which should heal in short order. In the end, it's your call.
In order of less damage to fish, the first is trap. Next hook, followed by net in my opinion.

ponokareefer
04-24-2007, 12:00 AM
I would agree that a net is much worse for a fish than a hook. I wonder if we'll see the day LFS's using hooks instead of nets, to save the fish.:mrgreen:

fishmaster
04-24-2007, 05:35 AM
Just make sure you don't use cheap line. A break off could be bad. Metal desolving into the tank ect...

bubblepuffer
04-24-2007, 01:25 PM
A fish sonar might help if the tank is too deep :biggrin:

kfowler
01-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Hook and line work great. I've even used a fishhook cut off at the shaft (just the straight part of hook) impailed with bait, to wean picky eaters off live food only.

Here are a couple tips I'd like to add.

1: Use a hook small enough to get in its mouth, but not easily swallowed.
2: Snip or squeeze the barb with plyers.
3: Any fishing store with fly tying materials will have hooks right down to the size of a gnat.
4: If you are a fisherman, ignore the instinct to "Set the hook!"
5: Don't wait for a for sure hookup, pull out right away on the fish hitting the hook. This avoids swallowing hook.
6: have a large fish fallout zone and fish pickup method ready incase you loose it off the hook.
7: a valid fishing licence! <wink>

Thanks for the tip.

I have been trying to catch 2 overly agressive damsels for the past week or so.

I've tried the DIY 2L bottle trap with no suck luck. (I could catch any other fish but the damsels)

I finally went to canadian tire and bought a small fly hook and line last night and caught the first of the 2. Hopefully tonight I can snag the other one.