PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Ich?

likwid
04-21-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey There,

I just purchased another clown fish for my tank to go along with the clownfish that has been in there for a few months. I slowly acclimatized the new one, and then put her in the tank. She has been breathing heavily, stays at the bottom of the tank, doesnt swim around too much, does not eat, and I have noticed it has a few tiny white spots on it. Does it have a case of Ich? My other clownfish is still very normal and extremely active. How should I go about treating this? Should I isolate the fish with Ich, or treat them both now since they are in the same aquarium?

likwid
04-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Hello???

marie
04-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Hard to tell without seeing the fish, but i would recommend setting up a hospital tank asap and putting all the fish from the main tank into it to treat. It could be ich but there are other diseases like brookynella and marine velvet that kill quicker then ich.

Oh and start reading :mrgreen:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22013

likwid
04-21-2007, 11:17 PM
Is there a cure for ich that I can put in my main tank and not have to set up a hospital tank? I dont have the equipment in place to do that.

marie
04-21-2007, 11:25 PM
There are only 2 surefire ways to completely get rid of ich and neither is good for the liverock one is hyposalinity and the other is copper.
A hospital tank is easy to set up you just need a container that can hold water, some kind of sponge filter(keep a replacement sponge in the sump so it is already seeded with bacteria for emergencies), a heater and a small powerhead.

likwid
04-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Alright I think I could make a hospital tank out of a big bucket that I have sitting around here. What treatment should I purchase, and how long will it take? Should I put both fish in or just the one who is sick?

Ruth
04-22-2007, 12:55 PM
You will need to treat both fish if it is in fact ich that your fish has. If you can try and post a picture of the sick fish to see if someone can help you identify that it is ich.
If you read the link that Marie gave you it will give you the information on how to treat your fish but you have to keep in mind that you will have to leave your main tank fishless for a couple of months to allow the parasite to completely die off.