PDA

View Full Version : Eels

King of the Sea
04-21-2007, 05:56 AM
What makes the perfect home for eels:question:

justinl
04-21-2007, 06:45 AM
tank volume depends on what kind of eel you want. in general, lots or rockwork with lots of hidey holes so the eel can wind itself through the rock comfortably. NON abrasive sand. oolitic seems to be best. crushed coral is pretty rough on their undersides. all intakes must be covered in a mesh or something.

two important things that eel owners seem to neglect too often:
1) STURDY rockwork. im talking rockwork that is reinforced with a pvc skeleton.
2) the most IMPORTANT of ALL: a lid. simple right? a lack of a proper lid is the number one cause of eel death. your lid must be tightfitting, unable to be budged by the eel, and have NO holes the eel might have a chance of squeezing through.

and then of course there's the question of tankmates. that one is up in the air.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-21-2007, 07:37 AM
You can even hide lengths of pvc in the rockwork for them to hide in.

Ticketyboo
04-21-2007, 02:47 PM
I have 5 Eels in my tank and they all co-exist nicely with my lionfish and bamboo shark.

Tight lid and most definately mesh up your intakes for overflows and intakes as my snowflake likes to scare the hell out of me by jumping into the overflows and landing in my sump.

i also have tones of rock work, make sure that they can use these as tunnels, and make it so that its facing the front of the tank, otherwise you wont see much of them during the day for they usually stick out 1/3 of its body from their cave.

Sand also i find is a good thing and not to go bare bone as they like to borrow under rocks.

Our LFS has just recieved a nice shipment of 8 Eels which i more than gladly helped put in the tank :biggrin:

Any more Eel lovers here?

Salmon King
04-21-2007, 05:37 PM
I have a three and a half foot hawaiin dragon eel that I have had 3 years.Make sure you have a good filter system and hiding spots through the tank.For awhile I only had a hiding spot in one corner witch he didn/t venture far from.After I made hiding spots through out the tank he feels more comfortable and is out all the time .A good diet gos a long way.Squid/octopus and formula cube.

tranvictor
05-28-2007, 11:54 PM
Do you any pics of your dragon?

Salmon King
05-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Ihave pictures on reef central under eels.I will try to get some new pictures soon

krisalexander
05-29-2007, 06:34 AM
I had two eels in my FOWLR, unfortunately I am selling them both, I have a gold spotted moray and a snowflake and they co-exist fine in a 33G. I have a couple rocks and some clear pvc type stuff and they think that they are hidden when actually they are sitting in the front and centre of the tank... Eels are sweet creatures would recommend them to anybody with the instructions stated above by other reefers..

Kris