PDA

View Full Version : My new Resident

ldzielak
12-06-2002, 05:04 AM
Just put him in his new home last night (3 1/2 hour drip, from 1.019 to 1.025 salinity). Sounds like this guys has had some rough times lately. Got him from a friend who saved this guy and 3 brothers or sisters, from a 400g that leaked. When my friend arrived, they were found in 1" of water. Only 4 out of 6 sailfins survived the flood, no other fish did. I hope he enjoys his new home for now.

http://www3.telus.net/public/a7a92965/fish/Sailfin.jpg

canadawest
12-06-2002, 06:46 AM
Wow, that is a beautiful fish!

Awful to hear the fate of the others, but happy to hear that it has a loving new home now.

Best of luck with your new addition.

Dresden
12-06-2002, 06:52 AM
beautiful fish, sorry to hear a 400g leaked =(

Delphinus
12-06-2002, 03:31 PM
What a fabulous fish, Lee. Yes a very sorry story. :cry: At least some were able to be saved!

Which sailfin is this? Looks kind of like Z. veliferum, but I thought the spots were supposed to fade as the fish matures? Maybe I have that backwards -- they start off without spotted cheeks and the spotting gets more pronounced as the fish gets bigger?

StirCrazy
12-07-2002, 12:01 AM
What a fabulous fish, Lee. Yes a very sorry story. :cry: At least some were able to be saved!

Which sailfin is this? Looks kind of like Z. veliferum, but I thought the spots were supposed to fade as the fish matures? Maybe I have that backwards -- they start off without spotted cheeks and the spotting gets more pronounced as the fish gets bigger?

that is exactly what mine looks like also.. lots of spots..

Steve

ldzielak
12-07-2002, 02:16 AM
Update, Well the tang has settled right in. He followed my Maroon clown for the first day not they don't look like they mind each other. This Maroon keeps amazing me, being an older big fish, I figured he would not like others, but he has done great.

Not sure if the tangs loose or gain spots, I would think they gain spots, don't think this guy is very young. He also doesn't swim as much as the other tangs I have had (for short periods). He looks very relaxed an not too easily spooked by me working in the tank. Also eats anything I put in the tank. My hopes were he would slowly keep the grape vine caulerpa under control. But I have not noticed him grazing much. Time will tell.

Steve, not to alert the tang police, but how big is your fish?

Lee

I don't even think the poor guy who has (had) the 400g knows his tank is dead. He is stationed at Comox, and I don't think he is back yet.

StirCrazy
12-07-2002, 02:33 AM
um, 19" but he can still turn around with out hitting the glass.

Seriously though he is about 4" and is going to a new home sunday. I can see that he will be to big for my tank because of the other inhabatance so I am passing him to another person who doesent already have a tang.

Steve

ldzielak
12-07-2002, 02:47 AM
Steve,

Thanks for the clarification, for one second I was thinking maybe you set up a BIG tank, but then I remembered how long it took you to get your current system up :wink:

Lee

StirCrazy
12-07-2002, 04:12 AM
Hmmm and what is that suposed to mean :wink: anyways I am setting up a big tank but the wife said I couldent do it till I either bought her a new house or did a adition to this one... so looks like we meet with the archatect in january :roll:

Steve

ldzielak
12-07-2002, 06:13 PM
Steve,

I'm in the same boat, no new tank t'ill we buy a house. Well not completely true, I still get to replace my 33g with a 72g. And well if a certain fish gets too big for the 120g, they I will have to get a bigger home for him. loop holes are too much fun.

Lee