PDA

View Full Version : Anyone turn off thier skimmer at night?

X-Treme
04-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I have my new 35ish gallon custom set up in my bedroom (only place left for it) and my remora pro is pretty noisy. Is it ok to shut it off at night? ANYONE out there do this? Will it cause problems if I do? If so, I will just learn to live with it.

TIA

Der_Iron_Chef
04-20-2007, 11:38 PM
You can shut it off at night, I'm sure. I've heard some people that do this. For a while, my skimmer was overflowing at night, so I turned it off at night. Didn't seem to adversely affect anything.

Dragonsteeth
04-20-2007, 11:48 PM
I shut mine off for 4 hours in the evening as the set up is in the living room - to have more peace and quiet.
Apart from scaring the hell out of me when it fires back up at 10:30pm, there is no adverse affects. The only thing is some microbubbles until it settles down but as my lights are about to go off and me to bed - who cares!

Chin_Lee
04-21-2007, 01:05 AM
unless you have reverse refugium/sump lighting, i actually recommend leaving skimmers on at night. If I remember the lessons from my biology classes, photosynthesis during the day converts co2 to oxygen and vice versa at night. so if your o2 levels are better during the day and your skimmer is on at night will help to maintain the oxygen level in your tank.

Black Phantom
04-21-2007, 01:20 AM
If your bioload isn't that high then no problem. I run my 45 without a skimmer and have no problems. Just keep track of your water parameters. If your skimmer is constantly pulling out a ton of stuff then keep it running 24/7

BCOrchidGuy
04-21-2007, 04:46 AM
I agree with Chin, I used to have my skimmer off during the day but on at night when other powerheads and pumps were shut down. My reasoning was to add O2 to the water, I also feed during the day but not often at night so it made more sense to me to skim after the feedings rather than skim food out that I want to keep in the water column. One thing you could do is have the lights go off just before your usual bed time and have the skimmer come on an hour or two after you go to bed, that would give you time to fall asleep. If that doesn't work then I'd suggest a sump and put the skimmer in there, even a small refugium like a 5 gallon would make a difference to your O2 levels at night, keep it on a reverse light cycle with or without the skimmer in there.

Doug

albert_dao
04-21-2007, 04:48 AM
Have you tried muffling your Remora with foam or something? That might cut down the noise just enough to be acceptable. Hope that helps.