PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a Phosban Reactor?

MikeP
04-20-2007, 02:06 PM
What does a phosban reactor do? Would it be good to have on a tank that is cycling?

christyf5
04-20-2007, 02:17 PM
A phosban reactor is a flow through type system that makes many types of media (specifically phosphate media) more efficient in that the water surrounding the media is constantly being exchanged. I have two, one for phosphate media and one for carbon. I find the use of carbon in a phosban reactor simply amazing, it works so much better than just floating a bag in the sump.

I doubt a phosban reactor would do anything for a cycling tank as the rock is usually fairly new and you aren't adding any phosphates (in the form of fish food) to the tank yet. Unless you are getting previously used rock that is leaching phosphates into the water I doubt it would provide any benefits.

Jeez I just read this over and I need to stop reading scientific papers, I sound like I have a stick up my butt :razz:

Raf
04-20-2007, 03:10 PM
If you are running a filter on the tank, like a canister, HOB or even a prefilter on a powerhead, you can stick a bag of media(phos remover or carbon) in it and it will function like a reactor. The importance is to have the water flow through the media and not just around it.

:)

Der_Iron_Chef
04-20-2007, 03:22 PM
I was running phosban and then phosar through a cannister filter. When I would replace the media, I noticed that the water always made "tunnels" through it, therefore limiting the contact the water had with ALL the media.

I got a phosban reactor and it definitely works like Christy said...with the water coming into contact with all the media. I'm a fan.

(As a side note, and not to hijack, but would it be problematic to put a little phosban and a little carbon in the same reactor? I hope not because I already did...lol. :redface:)

christyf5
04-20-2007, 03:23 PM
(As a side note, and not to hijack, but would it be problematic to put a little phosban and a little carbon in the same reactor? I hope not because I already did...lol. :redface:)

I thought about doing that too, its just that the carbon usually is exhausted before the phosphate media so separating them out can be a problem unless you've enclosed one or the other in a filter bag or something.

MikeP
04-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info. All the LR I will be using is established and I also have quite a bit of base rock that hasn't been in water yet.

kwirky
04-20-2007, 06:27 PM
like a protein skimmer it's not "required" but it definately makes things easier to say the least.

If one is concerned about putting phosban and carbon in the same reactor, they could probably put less phosban in than recommended, and then you'll be on the same replacement cycle as your carbon

danny zubot
04-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Mike do you have a sump on your system? If so then just throw a bag of the media or carbon etc into your sump. Reactors are only good if you don't have a sump or if there's no room in your sump.

MikeP
04-20-2007, 09:58 PM
Mike do you have a sump on your system? If so then just throw a bag of the media or carbon etc into your sump. Reactors are only good if you don't have a sump or if there's no room in your sump.

Thanks Danny. I do have a sump, I was planning on putting it in the compartment with the skimmer. Would I be better off rigging something up so the overflow water goes through carbon or maybe try to get some carbon between the baffles?

danny zubot
04-20-2007, 11:02 PM
There are many ways and places to put the stuff, but the bottom line is that if you use a bag, it will clog. So baffles and overflow are probably not a good idea. I usually place my bag before my return pump for good flow, and to catch some micro bubbles at the same time. Its nothing fancy but it works for me.

Danny

chwkreefer
04-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Since adding a phosban reactor about a year ago, I found my tank did better over all. The coralline algae grew much quicker in my tank and so did my frags. . . Bill