PDA

View Full Version : What glue for frags or plugs?

Twisted-1
04-20-2007, 04:27 AM
What are the best glues to use in your reef tank? I keep reading about Locktite Superglue and I was wondering if you can use it under the water and/or how do you apply it?

Also what other brands are ot there that work good and how do you apply them. I don't want a glue that I have to remove and dry a portion of rock. Rocks are situated pretty securely.

Borderjumper
04-20-2007, 04:38 AM
I buy this from Jand L. It comes in 2 sticks, you take equal amounts and kneed them together then stick your frag to the rockwork. Works awesome in applications where you cant take your rock out of the water. Just dont do too much at once.. it will cloud the water.

Aquascape Milliput Epoxy $16.95 CDN

This product has been specially developed in association with Milliput for use within Marine Aquariums.

AquaScape cures underwater to the color of coralline algae which makes it far more aesthetic than standard aquarium putty. The new formula is also stickier so that it bonds better to wet substrates such as coral frags or rockwork.

Its main uses are for fragging, construction of rockwork, protection for tridacna clam bases, repairs of pipe fittings and all of the usual applications.

The pack comes with detailed instructions for its preparation and also with hints for specific use within the aquarium. Can also be used in freshwater aquariums or ponds.

RonD
04-27-2007, 05:40 AM
I use Locktite Superglue.. but make sure its the 'GEL' formula. Can tire and wally world stock it

skylord
04-27-2007, 08:03 AM
You cant use any of the super glues underwater. Water acts as an accelerator for super glues so you do need to at least dry off the rock with a towel. The 2 part that Borderjumper mentions can be used underwater but it doesn't work well with softies. If your wanting to attach softies underwater try tying them down with nylon thread or sewing them to your rock with nylon thread. Mushrooms and Ric's and anything like them I use strips of wedding vale wrapped loosely around them and the rock.

Scott