PDA

View Full Version : Drilling glass - need some help/advice

SerLunchbox
04-20-2007, 02:34 AM
Well, I am attempting to cut holes in the top of my tank. I have a glass cutting tool for my Dremel. Since I don't have the space to create an overflow (that and the bottom of the tank is tempered glass), would a hole in one end (for intake about 2" down from the top) and then plumb it so that there is another hole in the center and in the other corner (hopefully put a SQWD in there to assist) and have a 90 degree elbow so that there is no back flow (for if the power goes out and the return pump stops working). So am i correct in doing this way so far?

I wasn't sure how far down the hole should be drilled. Also, what size hole should I have for the bulkheads? 2" or 1.5"?

kwirky
04-20-2007, 03:53 AM
that is going to take you FOREVER with a dremel lmao

Took me about 1.5 hours to cut a hole for a 3/4" bulkhead using a dremel. You could be working at it for over 3 hours, and the dremel glass bit is only good for aproximately 1/4" glass.

I'd just take it in and pay the $20 for somone to drill it honestly.

and buy your bulkheads first, then get the hole cut. they require different hole saws depending on the the brand/size.

if you want to risk cutting it first and buying your bulkhead later, here's a list I compiled a while ago. The one brand's spears (high quality expensive brand), and the other is the most common el-cheapo usually used in aquariums:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29974&highlight=bulkhead

KrazyKuch
04-21-2007, 05:47 PM
I can drill up to 1/2" glass with my dremel and I did a whole for a 1 1/2" bulk head in about 20 min....you can push those dremels pretty hard when drilling glass!!!

Robw
04-21-2007, 05:53 PM
I drilled a hole for a 1 1/4" bulkhead with my dremel and a diamond tipped cutter in about 15 min. Keep the cutter wet with water and it cuts like butter.

KrazyKuch
04-21-2007, 05:56 PM
also move the dremel up and down like your useing a saw...for some reason this makes it help cut faster!!!

kwirky
04-21-2007, 08:09 PM
i don't know why mine went so slow then. I was pushing very hard, and moving the bit up & down.

Maybe it was the wrong glass bit? It just barely was tall enough for 1/4" glass.

I've got holesaw bits now which I have to say are much nicer than using the dremel anyways :)

KrazyKuch
04-22-2007, 12:46 AM
yeah but how much are the diamond tipped hole saws....I pay $5 for my dremel bit which can do any size hole I want and can usually do about 6 or 7 holes per bit!

kwirky
04-22-2007, 06:52 AM
diamond hole saws were $4 USD each. not super high quality, but good enough to have around in case they're needed. Only have the sizes used for sump returns (1/2" - 1" piping). Larger holes I'd rather pay somone to do and leave it on their shoulders in case they screw up.

there are some things I don't have the confidence in doing myself :)

SerLunchbox
04-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I have a very powerful dremel tool right now. Spins very fast at maximum speed.

So, about my plumbing question.
would a hole in one end (for intake about 2" down from the top) and then plumb it so that there is another hole in the center and in the other corner (hopefully put a SQWD in there to assist) and have a 90 degree elbow so that there is no back flow (for if the power goes out and the return pump stops working). So am i correct in doing this way so far?

Am I correct?

AndyL
04-24-2007, 12:36 AM
As far as drilling with a dremel - definitely do-able, I just did a 1 1/2" bulkhead into 3/8" glass, 15 minutes. Don't push on the bit, let the dremels weight do the work.

Serlunchbox - grab yourself the free copy of sketchup and draw up what you mean... Personally I'm not following - I think you're talking about just drilling and using a stand pipe?

fkshiu
04-24-2007, 04:57 AM
Just ran across some diamond hole saws at Lee Valley Tools. Not is cheap as on ebay but I'm sure they're high quality from Lee Valley.

Took Seahorse Fanatic and myself about 90 secs to drill 1" bulkhead hole with powerdrill and a hose. And you end up with a much cleaner than using a dremel bit.

pat
04-24-2007, 08:25 PM
princess auto has a sale from april 24-mai6,
5 piece diamond hole saw kit with pilot bit for 25.55

Shrimpy
04-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Or you could just order them here. (http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/ushop/Glass-Drill-Bits.html?L+scstore+zjpm5707ffa35da3+1177452665)

pat
04-24-2007, 10:25 PM
true enough but 5 bits for 26 bucks you cant go wrong...it is only a sale though