PDA

View Full Version : Cycling

0pti0n
04-20-2007, 01:58 AM
So my 90 gallon has been cycling for a week with about 70lbs of live rock from an established aquarium, as well as about 5 lbs of aragonit from a different established tank to mix in with my 60lbs or aragonite. Current readings are the following

NH3 = 0.1
NO2 = 0.1
NO3 = <5
PO4 = 0.25
PH = 8.3

Biggest question is I thought I would see some sort of a spike as its a new setup with a 20 gallon sump. My SS 220 has been skimming and pulling some pretty icky stuff out and Im developing a bunch of brown algae on the sand and the glass now.

Should I expect a spike, or does it seem to be ready to go?

justinl
04-20-2007, 06:54 AM
did you have any source of ammonia in teh first place? i would throw in 2-3 uncooked frozen shrimp just to be sure. best not to rush these kinds of things

Johnny Reefer
04-20-2007, 02:18 PM
I think you're good to go. This happens frequently. There is enough established bacteria already in the LR that you get an "Instant" cycle. I've set up a SW tank 5 times now. Each time there was no spike. Like I said....you're good to go, but take it slow. Don't add all kinds of livestock all at once. Let the system develop and mature, adding specimens as you go. This could take as long as 1 year, IMO.

Good luck and cheers,

0pti0n
04-20-2007, 04:28 PM
awesome, should I start with the whole clean up grew in one shot? Get the http://www.jlaquatics.com/static/livestock/janitors.htm package #5 or is that too much to add at once. I do have a fair bit of brown algae forming on my glass and substrate now and a bit on the LR

Der_Iron_Chef
04-20-2007, 04:36 PM
I didn't see any spikes, either, when I set up my tank. I'm personally not a huge fan of big cleaning crew packages. I would just buy a dozen or so snails and let 'em go nuts. If you develop a hair algae problem, maybe someone can loan you their sea hare (mine's on loan right now :smile:)

I personally can't imagine having 70 hermit crabs in my tank! That's a little insane. They're not the most delicate creatures, and the one that I have in my tank has knocked over its fair share of frags!

Anyway, just my two cents' worth!

P.S. Like Johnny Reefer said, go slowly :smile:

Johnny Reefer
04-20-2007, 04:51 PM
The brown algae is normal for a new tank. That should subside on it's own in time.

I agree....70 hermits is insane, as is 60 snails, IMO.

I've seen a few times now where a desire/advice has been indicated to introduce a clean up crew first, before any other livestock. I don't get this. Why? What is there to clean up? I'd start with a few small, easy fish first. JMO.

0pti0n
04-20-2007, 06:50 PM
yeah sounds pretty reasonable, I already put in 3 small (1inch) yellow tailed damsels for cycling, and now Illl introduce a smaller snail package with 2 small clowns. like the package 2 about 30 snails. SHouldn't be too much of a shock to the system should it? I've had the damsels in there for about 2 weeks