PDA

View Full Version : Where is everyone going?

michika
04-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Lately it seems like there is a huge rash of people selling off their systems and getting out of the hobby. I'm just curious as to why there is such a large number of people wanting to get out lately?

Thoughts?

marie
04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Summers comming?

guysmiley
04-19-2007, 10:29 PM
I for one am thinking about selling so that I can use my trailer this summer without the worry of my tank. I also just bought a racecar..... so I could probably use the money.

Garrick.

Moogled
04-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Maybe people just want to incorporate lifestyle changes. Most of the people leaving the hobby probably have higher priorities than dedicating time to a reef tank. Others are tired of dealing with the problems that come with reef tanks.

bulletsworld
04-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Summers comming?

Exactly. Happens ever year, it seems.

I find even myself in the summer I spend less time adding or buying stuff. By summer I want it to all run almost maintenance free till it gets cooler again. :mrgreen:

Canadbis
04-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Cutting down on the power bill maybe?

saltynuts
04-19-2007, 11:15 PM
wife haveing babies. but she said i was cranky so get a new tank,
so i am building now.
you will never leave and if you do you,ll be back!

michika
04-19-2007, 11:34 PM
I just don't remember so many people getting out of the hobby last summer, or the one before that. I guess it must be because a lot of the people who are leaving now I've known for longer.

bulletsworld
04-19-2007, 11:46 PM
I just don't remember so many people getting out of the hobby last summer, or the one before that. I guess it must be because a lot of the people who are leaving now I've known for longer.

Yeah maybe hey. I find it goes in cycles. But even though they sell there tanks, they usually have a nano hiding somewhere and there still peaking on the boards. :lol:

Bryan
04-20-2007, 02:40 AM
Maybe the skyhigh price of housing has driven people to cut out entertainment and hobbies to pay the mortgage

Murminator
04-20-2007, 02:45 AM
wife haveing babies. but she said i was cranky so get a new tank,
so i am building now.
you will never leave and if you do you,ll be back!

More kids Ed?....holy crap that will make like 15 or so won't it?

Delphinus
04-20-2007, 05:18 AM
I agree with Lee that it does seem to be in cycles. I'm nearing the 10th year in the hobby now and I do get a little sad some days thinking about the people I don't get to meet up with anymore... That said, there seem to be a few hard-core old-timers who just refuse to give up and I do keep in touch with some of the friends I've made in the hobby even if they don't keep reeftanks anymore. :) Guess life just happens and interests/focuses change, or people need breaks.

I don't think I could go for long without some kind of tank now though. I've thought of throwing in the towel a few times the last two years or so but never in terms of permanently - only in terms of "I could use a break." So sometimes you scale back, just as sometimes you scale up. :) Ebbs and flows abound.

Still, I'm sorry to see people move on, and for most people, I secretly hope they'll be back one day. :) Addicts need company darn it!

andsoitgoes
04-20-2007, 06:02 AM
I agree with Lee that it does seem to be in cycles. I'm nearing the 10th year in the hobby now and I do get a little sad some days thinking about the people I don't get to meet up with anymore... That said, there seem to be a few hard-core old-timers who just refuse to give up and I do keep in touch with some of the friends I've made in the hobby even if they don't keep reeftanks anymore. :) Guess life just happens and interests/focuses change, or people need breaks.

I don't think I could go for long without some kind of tank now though. I've thought of throwing in the towel a few times the last two years or so but never in terms of permanently - only in terms of "I could use a break." So sometimes you scale back, just as sometimes you scale up. :) Ebbs and flows abound.

Still, I'm sorry to see people move on, and for most people, I secretly hope they'll be back one day. :) Addicts need company darn it!

having been back in the hobby for less than a year concurrently, and weeding out pretty much everything FW, I can understand - and if I have to go through he double hockeysticks this summer with my main reef tank, I can most certainly appreciate the drive to remove oneself from the hobby.

However, I'm still naive enough to think that the world is a cuddly place, and that the Kyoto Protocol is just a fancy name for a drink.

My kids are just 2 and a bit, as time goes on and life becomes more hecitc, I'm sure there will be a point that I may say "Whoa now. I don't want to be like Mel Gibson at the end of Braveheart"

It's just a question as to if and when. If the tank stays stable as it is now, no problem. It's day to day.

scub steve
04-20-2007, 07:22 AM
I for one am thinking about selling so that I can use my trailer this summer without the worry of my tank. I also just bought a racecar..... so I could probably use the money.

Garrick.

what did you get?? i just bought a 67 cougar thats why im trying to get rid of my stuff..