PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with my Maxima clam

chwkreefer
04-18-2007, 05:34 AM
Hi,
I have two crocea's that are looking great. The Maxima was too until last week.Now I can just see a portion of the mantle coming out and the clam is pretty much closed.

I check my parameters about 2 weeks ago and they were all good. For those of you who don't know my tank it's a 150 sps dominated, and have 2 - 10K MH 4 months old

I'm looking for some direction as to what to look for. In regards to measurements for mg, cal, alk, pH etc, assume that they are all good. Although the tank got up to 84 degrees for me for a number of days for me. Mine rarely peaks past 80.

But if you can point into some directions to look Iwould be greatful.

Bill

seashells
04-18-2007, 06:06 AM
lost mine to a large bristle worm. check underneath

mark
04-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Sorry can't give you any suggestions other than might take a search through the forum at clamsdirect.com. Looks of posts.

Chin_Lee
04-18-2007, 03:56 PM
bill
check under the mantle for small snails.
also check underneath where the foot secretes strands to attach to rocks for bristtle worms or anything that could be eating through the clam inside out.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Also, watch your cleaner shrimp which can sometimes go after clams.

chwkreefer
04-18-2007, 08:56 PM
bill
check under the mantle for small snails.
also check underneath where the foot secretes strands to attach to rocks for bristtle worms or anything that could be eating through the clam inside out.

Hi Chin,
There appears to be absolutely no sign of a foot. Hasn't been for someI have no cleaner shrimp in the main tank. Though I do have a large black crab that was recently noticed. But my two Crocea's look wonderfull.

I will look closer for the snails.
Can a person keep a clam our of water for some inspection? if so, what's the maximum time?

Thanks,
Bill

Chin_Lee
04-18-2007, 09:07 PM
bill
many of these clams are subject to open air during low tides. Like other mollusks, they will "clam up" :lol: and maintain their fluid levels in their shells until high tide. so taking them out of the water for few minutes to an hour should be fine.
the lack of a foot is concerning- most healthy croceas should have a foot of some sort and they secret strands to the ground to attach themselves firmly.
use a magnifying glass and small tweezers to hunt the small snails down.

mark
04-18-2007, 11:35 PM
caution first before taking out; make sure fully closed and haven't attached. If it's holding on, bring out with substrate.