PDA

View Full Version : fin rot?

spazed
04-18-2007, 03:33 AM
does anyone know, what i should do about a tang with rot on its tail. the area is gone from yellow to pink( blood). And the tail, seem to be being eatting but this problem. Plus large white sores, not ick. This is my favorite fish, and its alone in hospital tank.

Jason McK
04-18-2007, 04:12 AM
What size is the Hospital tank? How long has it been in there? What are the water perameters? is there anything in the tank for it to hide in?
What hardware are you using with the tank?

J

Scavenger
04-18-2007, 02:34 PM
Glad you finally joined us Gerald. Any improvement in your tang today? Are you treating it with any medications or treatments?

When my freshwater angels had some rot years ago, I remember breaking up eurithromyacin tablets into the hospital tank water. This helped lots, but I do not know about marine species.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Fin rot is generally caused by stress, no? How big is the fish/your aquarium? pH level? Anything else that could have stressed it out?

If it's really bad, consider treating it with an antibiotic.

spazed
04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
What size is the Hospital tank? How long has it been in there? What are the water perameters? is there anything in the tank for it to hide in?
What hardware are you using with the tank?

J

hi Jason, im using Cupramine and melefix. the copper level is right on the parts per liter. the hospital tank is 10 gallons and there was a tower or rocks for him to hide behind. its been in for about a week now. my main concern is the tail. It looks like the pink area now covers all the tail right to the blue.

spazed
04-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Fin rot is generally caused by stress, no? How big is the fish/your aquarium? pH level? Anything else that could have stressed it out?

If it's really bad, consider treating it with an antibiotic.

ok. how much antibotics for a ten gallon tank. well i did put it in hspital for ick...the move made the stress?

Jason McK
04-19-2007, 12:36 AM
I think, more importantly is to elliminate the source of stress. How is the Amonnia levels in the 10G tank? is ther water movement to help with gas exchange? is the temp steady. I know when I first got my Orange sided Tang it developed a horrible sore on it's side. I added him to the main tank and it quickly disapeared.
I sometimes wonder if a Q-tank is a good Idea for fish that have Large tank needs. But I'm sure that will open up a hole other debate

J