PDA

View Full Version : Thai tank on RC

Snappy
04-16-2007, 10:16 PM
I quite like the looks of this tank on an RC thread. Check it out.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1053276&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

UnderWorldAquatics
04-16-2007, 10:47 PM
Buddy should get some corals to spice things up abit....
In all seriousness....I still dont understand "powerheads" I know the tunze ones are the cats ass, but still he could have got an amazingly efficient pump, some 4 ways, some eductors, and had everything taken care of.... just my approach " better and cheaper" but whos judgin ;)
Mad props though!!! Beautiful reef!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe Reefer
04-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Cool tank, stream pumps and waveboxes are IMHO the way to go.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-17-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm a little blown away. And just when I was starting to be sorta pleased with my little reef...he he!

justinl
04-17-2007, 03:51 AM
sexy. i want that bad boy for Christmas.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-17-2007, 03:54 AM
Hey! I'm not for sale!

Oh, the tank. My bad...

Snappy
04-17-2007, 02:19 PM
Buddy should get some corals to spice things up abit....
In all seriousness....I still dont understand "powerheads" I know the tunze ones are the cats ass, but still he could have got an amazingly efficient pump, some 4 ways, some eductors, and had everything taken care of.... just my approach " better and cheaper" but whos judgin ;)
Mad props though!!! Beautiful reef!!!!!!!!!!!!
I must be missing something from your efficient approach idea. I understand the cheaper part but not the better. I used to paint powerheads with the same brush until I got a pair of tunze's, the way they pulse creates an actual surge through the water and not just a random flow. I knew I was on the right track when I could see coral polyps blowing one way and then whip back in the opposite direction, just like a real ocean surge does. If I had room in my tank for waveboxes I'd add them too. I'm a believer in you generally get what you pay for, and whenever I try cutting costs to save money I later regret it. It costs me more in the long run as I have something I'm not satisfied with plus the good one I later replace it with that I should have got in the first place.:smile:
Anyway I just thought this was a pretty nice tank.

MikeP
04-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Hey! I'm not for sale!

Oh, the tank. My bad...

Yer funny Drew :lol:

Delphinus
04-17-2007, 08:11 PM
That tank is another one of those ones where it looks like the owner forgot to put water in it. And yet magically the corals didn't die and the fish can still magically swim around in the perfectly clear air that clearly is in the tank instead of water. It's just sick really!!! :lol:

When I grow up I want a tank like that dadnamit!!!!!

albert_dao
04-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Powerheads > any sort of CL arrangement. Like Greg said, you really have to use the high-end products to get a feel for them.

christyf5
04-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Heh, I remember sending Tony the link to that pic last month. He was like "man theres 4 waveboxes in there". I was so wowed by the corals I hadn't even noticed.

A truly gorgeous tank.:biggrin:

Snappy
04-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah I think I have to get a couple of waveboxes now. I just don't know where I'll put them.

christyf5
04-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Yeah I must say, I wasn't totally enthralled with my wavebox at first. It takes up more space than I'd like but you certainly can't argue with the results. Better PE/growth than I've ever seen in my tank :biggrin:

UnderWorldAquatics
04-17-2007, 10:07 PM
I must be missing something from your efficient approach idea. I understand the cheaper part but not the better. I used to paint powerheads with the same brush until I got a pair of tunze's, the way they pulse creates an actual surge through the water and not just a random flow. I knew I was on the right track when I could see coral polyps blowing one way and then whip back in the opposite direction, just like a real ocean surge does. If I had room in my tank for waveboxes I'd add them too. I'm a believer in you generally get what you pay for, and whenever I try cutting costs to save money I later regret it. It costs me more in the long run as I have something I'm not satisfied with plus the good one I later replace it with that I should have got in the first place.:smile:
Anyway I just thought this was a pretty nice tank.

My disdain for powerheads runs deep, as I said, as far as powerheads go, the Tunze's are the cats ass, but I would never use them in a beautiful reef tank unless I could hide them as well as I could hide eductors. On top of that, they would have to be wireless as I despise even a single wire entering the display tank... My way would not be alot cheaper, depending on how many surge outlets you wanted... The last few reefs I built ran 4 ways divided into multiple outlets feeding eductors, they surged as well as any tunze could, and your not limited to the size restrictions that the tunzes are. Havent priced them out lately but what would 12-16 big tunzes and the controllers run? Then you still have a mess of huge powerheads with wires running everywhere.... Just my opinion, also my way isnt pratical on smaller tanks that make up the majority of this hobby anyway.
I dont agree with you last comment at all...... The tank is more than nice, its awe inspiring!!!!!!!!!!

Snappy
04-18-2007, 02:18 AM
My disdain for powerheads runs deep, as I said, as far as powerheads go, the Tunze's are the cats ass, but I would never use them in a beautiful reef tank unless I could hide them as well as I could hide eductors. On top of that, they would have to be wireless as I despise even a single wire entering the display tank... My way would not be alot cheaper, depending on how many surge outlets you wanted... The last few reefs I built ran 4 ways divided into multiple outlets feeding eductors, they surged as well as any tunze could, and your not limited to the size restrictions that the tunzes are. Havent priced them out lately but what would 12-16 big tunzes and the controllers run? Then you still have a mess of huge powerheads with wires running everywhere.... Just my opinion, also my way isnt pratical on smaller tanks that make up the majority of this hobby anyway.
I dont agree with you last comment at all...... The tank is more than nice, its awe inspiring!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah I agree that equipment in a tank looks bad and I would love to get away from it someday. I guess in the mean time I'll strive for corals that will draw the eyes to them instead of the powerheads. Not an easy thing to do. What size is your tank?

UnderWorldAquatics
04-19-2007, 02:51 AM
My tank, well Im building a freshwater display for myself 600-1000gallons, dont have a reef right now. Took my tanks down due to poor health, Ive built many tanks of all sizes. Most were around 300-800 gallons, then a few in the larger range 2500 gallons and up to 7500 gallons. I built custom setups for a living. Havent worked for a couple years now. Now that my health is comin around, Im gona get some tanks going again, starting with a freshwater display.

BCOrchidGuy
04-19-2007, 05:28 AM
I'm not a fan of the powerheads either however I have to say, my three seios in the 60 gallon keep things open and happy, lots of turbulence and the sump is nice and quiet, filtration gets taken care of etc... The Tunze's are nice but the bulk is such an eyesore. An ideal tank would probably have everything hidden, easy to reach for maintenance, reliable and be affordable. Oh well a guy can dream can't he. One thing I did notice and wasn't fussy on was that there is nothing on the glass, we've seen some wonderful pics of amazing tanks that have coraline algae on the glass especially at the back, the coraline can do an amazing job of hiding/camouflaging bulky equipment and make it look more like part of the tank rather than another peice of equipment. With the glass being so clear and clean at the back it looks like everything has been dumped (nicely) into a brand new aquarium just for the pictures.

Doug