PDA

View Full Version : Need stand help

SerLunchbox
04-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Well, I was given a 33 gallon tank and a 10 gallon tank from a friend of mine. I do plan on using the 10 gallon as a sump. I have some extra glass that I can make the chambers for it.

The only problem is that the stand that I was given doesn't quite fit the 10 gallon below it. It is fairly close (about 1/2" would make it better!) the one solution I had, that seems the most logical is to take out the center back 1X4 brace and instead, place 2 2X4's in the back corners and angle brace the back of the tank with more 2X4's screwed into place. This would give clearance for the 10 gallon "soon to be sump". My only concern then is the fact that the tank would be supported on 3 full sides and have nothing in the back except for a modified brace support system. Quite frankly, this does make me nervous to do it. Does anyone have suggestions on what can be done? If I had the money I would make a stand or buy a new one, but finances just don't permit at this time.

Suggestions? comments? ideas? Anything is welcome! Thanks!

BCOrchidGuy
04-18-2007, 03:46 AM
Not sure how to describe this nearly as well as I can picture it but I'd put a 2x4 on it's side so it's narrow side is under the top of the stand, drive a screw through the center, and then put a screw on each end. Use 2x4s again on the ends as upright posts and I think that would be more than strong enough, I used 1x3s for my 60 gallon but doubled them up.

Doug