PDA

View Full Version : Eibl Angelfish

Der_Iron_Chef
04-15-2007, 09:45 PM
Has anyone had any experience with these? Saw some today and was tempted to buy one, but experience and common sense got the better of me :wink: Thought I'd do a little research first.

http://x60.xanga.com/bfad402631433117773150/w84546919.jpg

Stones
04-15-2007, 11:22 PM
I've kept several Eibli angels over the past few years and I've had both good and bad experiences with this species of dwarf angel. Like all dwarf angels, Eilblis are classified as being "semi" reef safe and for good reason. I've had 2 of these angels introduced to my reef tanks in the past and they never touched any of my corals whatsoever. Its been over a year since I had my last Eibli so I recently purchased one on a live order. My latest angel has the nicest colouration of any of the Eiblis I've had before but it has eaten every last polyp off all of my sps corals. After it had finished with all my expensive sps, it then moved on to eat about a 6" square piece of green star polyps as well as constantly nipping at my kenya tree, candy cane, and echinophyllias.

These fish have great personalities and are not very shy after getting used to your tank. They are also fairly resistant to getting parasitic infections and rapidly accept food after first being introduced to a new tank. They also get along quite well with other dwarf angels (one of the ones I had kept in the past was housed in a 90 gallon with a flame angel) if introduced at roughly the same time.

I can't recommend this species to anyone based on the fact that individual fish behave very differently from one another. In the past, Eibli angels have been very enjoyable and interesting additions to my reef tank but after introducing my latest Eibli to my reef tank, I don't think I will ever try any species of angel in my tank again.