PDA

View Full Version : Which PVC cement?

MikeP
04-15-2007, 03:10 AM
My plumbing is a combination of rigid and flexable PVC. What cement is best to use? I have heard too much conflicting info on what to use. I have heard any PVC cement will do just fine but I have also heard I need a special type to use with flexable PVC and that stuff is also good for rigid. This is a decision that I think has to be right so I just want to make sure. I bought a cement called 'IPS weld-on PVC 704' but then noticed the can made mention of rigid PVC but not flexable. What type (a name would be great) of cement do I need and where can I buy it.

Thanks for any help.

UnderWorldAquatics
04-15-2007, 05:46 AM
http://www.savko.com/partlist.asp?pgid=8

always use a primer first, purple primer is only used for visable inspection purposes so you can just use clear primer. the cement says right on the tin what its to be used for...sound like you would need the third and fourth tins on the above site for your flex PVC,. get em at any local plumbing supplier...
Cheers!

Delphinus
04-15-2007, 06:44 AM
The clear cement has a little flexibility to it and that's why it's better to use with flex. Although in a pinch I don't think it really matters, it's only if there is a fair amount of pull on the pipes (that you would need to worry about it). The only thing is the grey cement and the purple primer from HD/Rona/etc is messy. Once a pipe has the purple stuff on it it's there forever and ever, so I don't like to use it. And heaven help you if your spouse discovers you've spilled the purple stuff on a carpet.

The clear stuff is invisible so makes for cleaner looking pipe work. For that reason, I use the clear on both rigid and flex PVC. I get mine at Western Pump.

MikeP
04-15-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the replies, and the link. Now I know exactly what to look for. I just hope I can find a place open on Sundays that has it :). I just really wanted to only do this once and have no risk of problems.

Thanks again