PDA

View Full Version : propagation tank ideas

kwirky
04-15-2007, 02:32 AM
You know those energy savings screw base PC bulbs that some people stick over their nanos? What kinda of corals have people successfuly kept under them, and how was the growth?

I'm thinking in water about 8 or 10" deep. I think most softies would be ok, most LPS, and I've even heard crazy stories of people keeping SPS under them in shallow water...

justinl
04-15-2007, 02:44 AM
mmmm... those aren't really meant for aquariums. th light from those things are much too yellow. Maybe if you blued up with a few actinics? i dunno. Im sure they would be okay for FO, but corals, im not so sure.

kwirky
04-15-2007, 03:05 AM
mmmm... those aren't really meant for aquariums. th light from those things are much too yellow. Maybe if you blued up with a few actinics? i dunno. Im sure they would be okay for FO, but corals, im not so sure.

don't care about color, only growth. heard it's PAR, not colour that causes growth. ie: Iwasakis doing better than most other MH bulbs.

And i've seen most of my own coral get their colour back pretty quickly when put under a proper light. Thinking of growing them out in in a bunch of cheap tanks, then "colouring in" certain ones in a really blue tank when needed.

Thinking of the cheapest way possible to run a "farm" heh...

Moogled
04-15-2007, 03:32 AM
kwirky's right. PAR determines growth for photosynthetic corals. Albert taught me that there's a specific spectrum that corals absorb in order to survive and thrive.

:D

Jason McK
04-15-2007, 03:56 AM
Yes PAR is important but if the colour temp is less than 6000K you will likly only grow algea

J

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-15-2007, 04:29 AM
Use Daylight bulbs (Phillips from HD or GE from Wal-Mart). They're 6500k.

Quagmire
04-15-2007, 04:38 AM

And if you can find one with a CRI above 90,your corals will keep good color

fishmaster
04-15-2007, 04:46 AM
And if you can find one with a CRI above 90,your corals will keep good color

What's CRI?
Shaun

andsoitgoes
04-15-2007, 04:48 AM

I've used those, but they are a bit yellow, however the growth is pretty darn good.

If you want a balance, look at the more expensive 50/50 coralife bulbs, they're 20w each (10w 10k and 10w actinic) and they look smashing, gorgeous color over my nano, and I get great growth from my softies, no real lps/sps outside of a small galazia and a few huge chunks of pipe organsm so I can't really comment other than to say I've got a tank with lots of growth and very solid color for over 7 months now.

AndyL
04-15-2007, 05:08 AM
coralife 20w 50/50 screw ins...

Used to have a pair over my 2.5g - was good up to montipora's...

Quagmire
04-15-2007, 05:11 AM
What's CRI?
Shaun

Color rendering index the higher the CRI the closer to natural color

kwirky
04-15-2007, 06:13 AM
GE makes 6000k colour temperature 20W's. They're usually about $10USD in american stores, better than the $20-30 each i've seen the coralife ones for sale here.

I'm also thinking just forking out the money for a teklight retro kit would be worth it. Go 2 bulbs over a 48"Lx10"Hx12"W tank. Would be enough for most things, and I could get another one later. I know it'd be higher quality than the dairy-queen bulbs and more reliable. And more versatile in case I decide on doing something else with the lights later. Those workhorse ballasts are pretty universal.

It'd be about $190 with bulbs if I went T5. Better than $15-20 each for the dairy queen ones, and probably needing at least 5 bulbs. That's at least $100 there for the cheap ones, not including sockets and wiring.

I think 2 bulbs over a 12" wide water surface would be fine in an 8" tank with a water depth of like 7.5"

It's funny. I've got 2 reef tanks going now. Only ~5 days after the 2nd one's running, and I'm already planning on another. I'm going end up with a fishroom before everyone else in the house realizes it's too late :D

Jaws
04-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Sorry to hijack but what bulb, other than metal halide, could be used to grow sps if they're close to the top? I'm setting up a 24 by 24 by 18" deep refugium that will be divided in to two sections: one section for macro and the other section for sps frags. Right now I've got a Coralife 150W clip-on pendant but I would prefer to use that on a 33G LPS/Softie tank that I'm setting up. Thanks, and sorry to hijack again.

kwirky
04-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I just got my first sps in my 120g, and it's lit with a 48x24" 8 bulb teklight unit (~420W total). The coral's grown about 1/2" on each of it's branches in the 15 days I've owned it so far. The lights are about 10" from the water surface, and the coral's about 9" below the water.

That's why I'm thinking T5 would be a great choice for a grow-out propagation tank for it's efficiency.

Any ideas on how to design a rack-style multi-tank stand for tanks 48"x14"x12"? I'm thinking of it holding 3, maybe 4 tanks, that will be added in increments as they're needed, with only one tank initially. Building materials would probably be 2x4's and plywood.

Or any ideas on the cost to have a shop build a tubular steel stand like this?

If I bought an icecap 660 ballast, I could start with one of these tanks, then add tanks and bulbs as needed when I feel the need to expand.

LeeR
04-15-2007, 11:18 PM
HD sells a 2 pack of 23W 6500K (daylight) bulbs for 14$. i use them in my terrariums.

kwirky
04-16-2007, 03:44 AM
HD sells a 2 pack of 23W 6500K (daylight) bulbs for 14$. i use them in my terrariums.

thanks for the help. I'm thinking I'll go with a T5 setup instead. Now I'm debating what kind of setup would be the best for the lowest cost in the long run. Either of the two:

two 4' teklight retrofits (4 bulbs in total, 2 ballasts) over the one tank, then buying the same all over again for each tank I add until I have 4 tanks in total.

Or 4 icecap reflectors and endcaps, and a single icecap 660 ballast. higher cost up front, but expandable in the long run...