PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a frag

likwid
04-15-2007, 01:26 AM
Hey guys. I just bought a Zoanthid frag from Golds, which is attached to a plastic disk. This is my first coral purchase, and I'm wondering how I am supposed to remove it from the disk and mount it to my live rock. I have acclimated the frag and stuck it with the disk in my sand bed for now.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-15-2007, 01:42 AM
I wouldn't attempt to remove it from the plastic plug. I would find a place on your rockwork where you want it to spread, and stick it there. You can find a hole to stick it in or epoxy it (with reef/marine epoxy) and the zoanthids should spread over the plug in time, making it invisible. It's probably not the look you're going for right now, but you've just got to be patient :smile:

ponokareefer
04-15-2007, 01:52 AM
I'd second Drew's instructions. It may take a little time to get the plug to dissappear, but it is the best way to do it.

Ryan

kwirky
04-15-2007, 02:30 AM
if you're feeling adventurous, I cut the "prongs" on the bottom of the plugs off with a dremel, then epoxy it down. That way I don't have to restrict it's placement to a hole.

But you gotta be careful that none of the hot plastic makes contact with the coral as it flies off. And one time I lost grip of the frag and the dremel sent it flying about 15 feet across the room. It's doing ok now, but it really shocked me then :biggrin:

Phanman
04-16-2007, 06:30 PM
i just cut the legs of the plastic disk with a pair of sharp scissors :P then epoxy it down.

rattler
04-16-2007, 10:24 PM
You could use some side cutters to remove the prongs and then attach it to a spot on your LR, with marine epoxy. With time it will grow over the plug. It took less than a month before the zoah had over grown my plug, as well there is a fair amount of coraline algae growing on the plug.

Cheers!

Geoff

kwirky
04-16-2007, 10:36 PM
side cutters? scissors!? I must have real weak hands because I can't clip the legs off with side cutters for the life of me lol :redface:

rattler
04-16-2007, 11:44 PM
when I cut the prongs off I only use the tip of the side cutters on each prong and the prong will break the rest of the way.

Geoff

likwid
04-17-2007, 03:36 AM
I dont have any holes deep enough in my rock for the plug to go completely inside. The plug's legs still stick out a bit less than an inch. Will the zoanthids still grow ever the plug eventhough it is elevated a bit off the rock? Would it be better to mount it in my sand next to a rock?

likwid
04-18-2007, 01:42 AM
Also, Does it matter if the frag is sideways, so the bottom polyps dont get much light? Or should I try to mount this in a spot where they are all facing upwards? I dont know if I cant find one, unless I just place it in the sand.

Snappy
04-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Yeah those plastic plugs are butt ugly.

likwid
04-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Anyone who can answer this question?

Der_Iron_Chef
04-18-2007, 03:51 PM
It depends how big a gap there is between the plug and your rock. The polyps will stretch and attach to the rockwork, but if it's too far away....I'm not sure. I would try to cut as much of the bottom part of the plug off as possible!

What you could also do is, put the frag on your sand and when the polyps spread to the sand, frag those ones...and then you can place them wherever you want. I'm not sure how well they do on *just* sand, because I've never done it (maybe someone else can chime in!) Live rock rubble would be your best bet.