PDA

View Full Version : WTB Copperband Butterfly

Black Phantom
04-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Is any one out there selling a Copper. I don't want one from the LFS as you never know if they are eating and I hate to watch them waste away.
Thanx

Salmon King
04-14-2007, 05:16 PM
Maybe ask to see the fish eat before you buy it.I usally do that.Make sure you get them to feed it in front of you.

Black Phantom
04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't want to do a quarantine if I can help it as these fish never seem to do well all alone. I want to buy one ready to take the big high dive straight into my tank.:biggrin:

Norstar
04-15-2007, 05:20 PM
Ocean Aquatics has a few in stock. They seemed healthy

EmilyB
04-16-2007, 06:16 AM
I just bought one at Red Coral today. I specifically asked him to feed and he was fine with that. I picked one that ate :biggrin: and it is pretty happy.

Black Phantom
04-16-2007, 02:23 PM
The problem with an LFS fish is that you have to put them in quarantine. And there lies the problem. I've had butterflys before and in a community tank they seem to do ok, but all alone in a tank for a month seems to do them more harm then good. They eat at first and then slowly start to reject food as they are unhappy.
Thats why I need to get a fish I can add directly to my main tank without fear of parasites.
I bought a super nice Hippo Tang from Albert at Golds that he had in a display tank for two years. I just like knowing that the new fish I get are completely healthy.
Hey Albert, got any two year old Butterflys:lol:

EmilyB
04-17-2007, 05:12 AM
I wouldn't quarantine a butterfly for disease, ime they are one of the hardiest fish in that area. A bare tank would be bad. But if you feel the need, just set up a tank with live rock to get it eating before introducing it into the main tank.

Aggressive fish in the main tank are sometimes more of a problem for the butterfly, but I agree, if you can get some weight on it before hand, it will likely overcome. Fish seem to accept butterflys for the most part.:wink: