PDA

View Full Version : Filter Socks

Jaws
04-14-2007, 03:41 PM
So I tried adding a filter sock to my overflow the other day to try and trap as much detritus as possible. It worked fine for a couple days and then started overflowing after about 4 days. When I pulled it out it was kind of brown and slimy almost like it had been lying in muddy water. Is this normal for them to clog up that quickly? My water quality is pretty good and I guess I'm just having a tough time believing there is that much crud floating around in my tank. Anyone else have any filter sock experience? Thanks.

Gools
04-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Well I don't have a filter sock, but my filter floss in my sump looks like that after about a week. You should see it if I forget it in there for 2 weeks. Looks almost like it's dissolving

christyf5
04-14-2007, 04:01 PM
It depends on what micron size you're using. The tighter the sock the more stuff it will trap and get clogged quicker. I used to use 25 micron ones which lasted about 24 hours. I had about 5 socks that I used in rotation. Now I am using the 50 micron ones from Ocean Aquatics and they last about 7 days or so before they start to overflow which is fine with me :biggrin:

mark
04-14-2007, 05:01 PM
I use 100 microns and try to change them about every four days, week at most and have four I rotate.

If I left them longer don't think the 100's would clog but worry the detritus and bag would turn into a nitrate factory

Tangman
04-14-2007, 06:30 PM
It depends on what micron size you're using. The tighter the sock the more stuff it will trap and get clogged quicker. I used to use 25 micron ones which lasted about 24 hours. I had about 5 socks that I used in rotation. Now I am using the 50 micron ones from Ocean Aquatics and they last about 7 days or so before they start to overflow which is fine with me :biggrin:
I use the same ones and change them once a week aswell
Jaws; they will clog up faster for the first month or so...

Delphinus
04-14-2007, 08:50 PM
So what are people doing to clean their filter socks? I just started using them myself and am wondering what to do when it's time to change them out. I'm thinking washing-machine (with no detergent). What do others do?

christyf5
04-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I do the washing machine, hot water and vinegar. I'm rethinking the hot water though. Hot stinky algae and small house do not mix. Pheeew!:razz: I have used bleach in the past and then just let the socks sit for a number of days but you need a few socks in rotation for that.

vanreefer
04-14-2007, 09:29 PM
So what are people doing to clean their filter socks? I just started using them myself and am wondering what to do when it's time to change them out. I'm thinking washing-machine (with no detergent). What do others do?

Yup!!

I have 25 and 50 micron bags and usually wait til they over flow before washing them
takes 2-5 days depending how much I'm mucking around in the tank before they over flow

Snappy
04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I use the 200 micron bags and change them every 3-4 days. I wash mine in the machine in just hot water. We have a cycle on ours that heats the water to just below boiling and it works very nicely. I don't notice a bad smell either.

Tangman
04-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Ya, I just turn them inside out ,pre-rinse them in the sink, and wash them in warm water ,no soap! That's It

Delphinus
04-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Do you do one at a time or can you wash 2 or 3 together at a time?

Tangman
04-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I only wash one at a time but why not 2 ????

vanreefer
04-14-2007, 11:11 PM

I'll do 3-4 at a time... no problems

Jaws
04-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Thanks guys. This is all good info.

mark
04-15-2007, 02:48 AM
I rotate four. The used ones I turn inside out and give a good rinse (have a laundry sink and garden hose in the fish room). Until I wash the three (1/4 cup bleach in the washing machine w/extra rinse) I just keep them moist in a pail.