PDA

View Full Version : A reason not to feed your fish lettuce

Salmon King
04-14-2007, 07:10 AM
I t was years ago I used to feed my fish romain lettuce.I used to buy it from a very reputable store.I would wash it very thorough.The fish loved it .One day I put some in a alge clip when things went wrong.All my fish took only a bite or two and started ackting strange.They started gasping and darting around the tank/the cowfish had mucas coming out there skin.I contacted a marine biologist I know and asked him what to do.He told me to try and get them to eat as much food as possible It was tence few hours but everybody lived.I contacted the store I bought it at and told it passed all there reqierments.I/m sure glad I didn/t eat it..What was on that lettuce. Does anybody know if all brands of nori the same and is it 100 percent safe.

G1GY
04-14-2007, 07:43 AM
You would be the first person that I've heard feeds their SW fish lettuce.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
04-14-2007, 07:50 AM
Buy nori for sushi (therefore human consumption safe) that has no added seasonings & is pure nori & you should be fine. I have been using it for years.

G1GY
04-14-2007, 08:04 AM
Buy nori for sushi (therefore human consumption safe) that has no added seasonings & is pure nori & you should be fine. I have been using it for years.

Same stuff I use. :)

andresont
04-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Nori here too, long time favorite. $3 for 20 sheets from Superstore.

Reefer Rob
04-14-2007, 02:19 PM
It's hard to find unseasoned nori. I've even tried T&T. I just buy the stuff from the fish store.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-14-2007, 03:33 PM
Superstore carries unseasoned Nori...like the other fellas mentioned above.

Justusfish
04-14-2007, 03:39 PM
That's where I buy mine as well. It is only one type of seaweed, as compared to a variety of different types of seaweed combined into one sheet at the fish store, but the cost is amazingly cheap.

My fish love it. I hold it and they rip it out of my hands. They never have learned table manners.

Black Phantom
04-14-2007, 03:47 PM
I get mine from Co Op

christyf5
04-14-2007, 04:03 PM
I've seen romaine lettuce hanging in several store tanks (not lately, probably a few years ago) as well as restaurant display tanks. I always used to think that was just what they ate until a fellow reefer told me about nori. At the time I didn't have any fish that would eat lettuce anyways but now I keep all my fish on nori.

Raf
04-14-2007, 04:52 PM
It's hard to find unseasoned nori. I've even tried T&T. I just buy the stuff from the fish store.

Fujiya carries many brands, and many of them are unseasoned. I am tempted to think that companies like nutrafin get their nori from the same makers that produce the 'human grade' stuff...

justinl
04-14-2007, 05:02 PM
ive seen lfs feed lettuce and spinach even though they know it's much better to stick to nori. they do it because nori isn't nearly as cheap as a head of veg.

Salmon King
04-14-2007, 05:10 PM
That happend 10 years ago.All the fish only took 1 or 2 bites before they acted really weird I thought I would lose them all/it was close.Just think we eat that stuff.

andresont
04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
SuprStore oriental isle next to the pet food, two kinds to choose from.