PDA

View Full Version : Keeping sand clean

supersmile
04-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Just wondering how everyone keeps their sand clean??? I have numerous snails and crabs but my sand still turns green from algae. I have also noticed slime algae in a certain spot. I know it isn't good to disturb your sand so how do you get it clean???

Reefer Rob
04-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Even with a DSB you can syphon or stir the top 1/2". I have a 3/4" sandbed that I stir every couple of days and syphon every 2 or 3 weeks.

Rumika
04-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Good day,
I just started a new tank and I came across the same problem. We had alot of algae growing on the sand, so we purcahsed a sand sifting star fish and ooohh my gosh did it clean things up in a matter of no time. The tank we have is small so we just supplement it with food in the sand.

Sherrie

supersmile
04-13-2007, 08:02 PM
I am assuming DSB is (dead sand bed). I have live sand in my tank. Is there anything you can't have with a sand sifting starfish? Is there as certain depth of sand you should have. Does anyone know of a good place to buy one in Edmonton?

Zylumn
04-13-2007, 08:52 PM
dsb = deep sand bed

close!!

ponokareefer
04-13-2007, 09:12 PM
You may want to try nassarius snails as they bury themselves in your sand and come up to feed, thereby mixing up your sand. You could also try various types of smaller conch's. I have one that really keeps my sand very churned up. I also have a sand sifting star, brittle star fish, blue leg hermit crabs, nassarius and cerith snails that churn up my sand. You could also try a sand sifting goby as well. I have heard that they are very good at mixing up your sand bed.

supersmile
04-13-2007, 09:25 PM
I have 2 nassarius snails although my sand still isn't kept clean??? I also have numerous crabs and snails.

bubblepuffer
04-13-2007, 09:25 PM
I found out I like Sand shifting Goby better.. =) they are fun and keep themself busy on the sand all the time, even eat all the left over food on the sand bed =) Mine dead from Trigger fish harrasment. That fish is cool.. will chew on the sand and filter it out from the side

Kryten
04-13-2007, 10:23 PM
Try conches, they are great. I have 2 in my 24 gal and they keep it very nice.