PDA

View Full Version : banned for life or what

saltynuts
04-13-2007, 12:05 AM
whats the deal with that! speak your mind have a dabate, and get the boot.
for how long we don,t know.
how can demon666 get a hold of the admin when he has it all locked up.
the link says he can contact the admin but its all locked up.
so watch what you say from now on!
no debates.
have a good one.

michika
04-13-2007, 12:58 AM
Seconded.

Can we also please have clarification on what being banned means, e.g. temporary, permanent, etc?

What triggers a banning, and is it done at the discretion of a single mod., or is it done based on more then one mod.? I guess what I'm asking is for clarification on how it is decided to ban someone.

Thank you

Moogled
04-13-2007, 02:03 AM
I'm assuming that if everyone spoke with the courtesy that you show, Michika, we would have way less problems with bannings.

Most forums I know of require that moderators go through the site administrator before deciding to ban someone, since it's not something that happens very often.

Yeah, not everyone on Canreef likes each other and there are underhanded, sarcastic comments traded that don't actually scream of "give us the goddamn information."

However, when I think about the thread, demon666's brusque way of communication isn't a joke that he was making, rather repeated rude attempts because he can't hold a "debate" in a civil manner. Perhaps the moderators already warned him once but it went unheeded.

christyf5
04-13-2007, 02:11 AM
I PMed Demon666 on the lateral line issue.I asked him to watch his language in the thread. Its one thing to have a debate but another to call names and repeatedly swear at another member. It was the choice of the original thread poster to not answer specific questions about his thread and there is nothing we can do to make him answer those questions, it is his choice. Repeated badgering, name calling and swearing is not going to do anyone any good. Through "discussion" with Demon666 via PM and his continued posting in the thread I warned him that he would undergo a 1 week ban. He continued to be rude and disrespectful to me so he was banned for one week, its not like he didn't know it was going to happen. After being banned, he returned under a different username and continued to harass a member and be disrespectful to the canreef staff. Under further review by the site administrator the ban was made permanent. This is not the first time Demon666 has acted inappropriately and undergone a 1 week ban. He has been contacted by the admins via email and he can reply to that email if he so chooses to defend himself or sink himself in further.

Banning is a pretty drastic thing, we don't take it lightly and actions by a member are usually pretty dramatic to warrant a ban. Sometimes we give people a "break" to cool off and think about things. Sometimes people are extremely rude and don't want to calm down after repeated warnings or returning from the one week ban, which is usually when the ban is made permanent. No single moderator bans someone, it is discussed amongst the moderators and a decision is reached.

I do believe we have only permanently banned three people on the board the entire time Canreef has been in exsistence. Demon666 is the third. We give members every opportunity to rectify their actions, they are warned and if they blatantly disregard that warning we give a one week ban. After returning from the 1 week if they continue to act up they are again warned and if they disregard this, the moderators once again review whether they need another vacation or a permanent ban.

I hope this clears things up. :biggrin:

christyf5
04-13-2007, 02:13 AM
I'm assuming that if everyone spoke with the courtesy that you show, Michika, we would have way less problems with bannings.

Most forums I know of require that moderators go through the site administrator before deciding to ban someone, since it's not something that happens very often.

Yeah, not everyone on Canreef likes each other and there are underhanded, sarcastic comments traded that don't actually scream of "give us the goddamn information."

However, when I think about the thread, demon666's brusque way of communication isn't a joke that he was making, rather repeated rude attempts because he can't hold a "debate" in a civil manner. Perhaps the moderators already warned him once but it went unheeded.

Well said, Moogled. Thank you! :biggrin:

michika
04-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Yes it does, thank you.

michika
04-13-2007, 02:43 AM
Thanks Moogled!

Veng68
04-13-2007, 02:59 AM
If you act responsibly and are civil ......... you should have no problem.

Like Christy said....... she gave him more then enough warning and he still continued to disregard the warnings. It's also common practice to get a permaban from a forum when you sign up with another account.

On forums there is no such thing as free speech. Feel free to express your opinions but don't expect to abuse the forum rules and still have posting privileges.

Cheers,
Vic [veng68]

rigger11
04-13-2007, 03:06 AM
Actually Demon666 works on the same rig that i do and i have known him for some time now. He actually can hold a civil debate.You should try him out sometime. He can debate the pants off anyone on our rig, push included, granted they usually are debating stuff that the push has no idea about but still. I had read the private messages that Mr.SK had sent to him, non of which were to "civil" either. Demon actually got myself and our tool push into the hobby. I with a 50g folwr and our push with a 30g nano. You feel that "give us the information goddamn it" is of incorrect language? Look at what Mr. SK is typeing now. "****ed off" is that anymore or any less of an incorrect language for this site?

correct me if im wrong.

Aaron

andsoitgoes
04-13-2007, 03:14 AM
I look away for a day and I miss all the drama. NO FAIR.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-13-2007, 03:51 AM
It's hard for me to pass any sort of judgement when I know nothing about the situation (beyond what's been written here). But I would trust the combined grace and wisdom of the forum mods to make the correct decisions. :smile:

EmilyB
04-13-2007, 05:40 AM
I would have made more comments in that thread but my knuckles are too bloody......:mrgreen:

I expect "miracle cure guy" will come under more scrutiny as time goes by and eventually prove himself egotistical and useless...:fadein: :idea:

But what do I know....:lol:

justinl
04-13-2007, 06:50 AM
I did not at all blame SK for being "****ed off." There are plenty of much more civil ways to ask for information and if the person being quesitoned doesn't want to answer, i don't see it as appropriate to badger them further. it's not hard to drop a subject. Nor is does it cost anything to think before you post. *shrug* i try to avoid the drama.

Doug
04-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Actually Demon666 works on the same rig that i do and i have known him for some time now. He actually can hold a civil debate.You should try him out sometime. He can debate the pants off anyone on our rig, push included, granted they usually are debating stuff that the push has no idea about but still. I had read the private messages that Mr.SK had sent to him, non of which were to "civil" either. Demon actually got myself and our tool push into the hobby. I with a 50g folwr and our push with a 30g nano. You feel that "give us the information goddamn it" is of incorrect language? Look at what Mr. SK is typeing now. "****ed off" is that anymore or any less of an incorrect language for this site?

correct me if im wrong.

Aaron

Hi Aaron,
Please read Christy,s post again. The thread comments only ended up in a temp. ban and that because of repeated posts.

It was other things that followed that led to the longer ban. Why could it not have just been left alone at that point?

We are here to help run the board. Its not the goal of staff to ban members but the rules are there for everyone to read when joining.

Doug
04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
whats the deal with that! speak your mind have a dabate, and get the boot.

It would be good to have all the facts before making judgements such as that.

for how long we don,t know.
how can demon666 get a hold of the admin when he has it all locked up.
the link says he can contact the admin but its all locked up.

I believe it was mentioned how.

so watch what you say from now on!
no debates.
have a good one.

Now you know thats not true at all. Just keep it civil and within posted guidelines for this and most other aquarium boards.

Thanks

G1GY
04-13-2007, 10:04 PM
IBTL!! :mrgreen:

This board is a privately owned and opperated and is going to be the way the admin and mod's want it to be.

Love it or leave it, that's just the way it is.

Props to the mods that even posted in this thread with feedback on the whole situation. At other boards the only reply that members would get to a thread like this is "This is between the admin and the member in question and is no one elses concern."

I didn't see the thread in question, but can tell you from the experience I had when I was verbaly attacked by a member with mental issues that bans don't happen very often here. So if there was a ban issued it had to be for a good reason.

Maybe we should all keep in mind that all of the mods and admin are not being paid for what they do here and donate their time to keep this place running.

Cheers.

BCOrchidGuy
04-14-2007, 12:07 AM
I think we are all intellegent enough to be able to discuss and disagree on a subject with out resorting to profanity. I was as frustrated as most in regards to the ambiguous nature of the posts, maybe Demon had a reason to be more frustrated and or hostile I don't know but I do know not everyone on this board is an adult, we get kids and young adults asking questions and looking for advice. I think it's important that we as adults keep that in mind when dealing with someone that gets our knickers in a knot.

Doug

Murminator
04-14-2007, 04:30 AM
I cannot believe I stayed out of this till now.....

http://bestsmileys.com/signs1/22.gif

http://www.facingourrisk.org/discus/clipart/beating-a-dead-horse.gif http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Elbarfo/dedhorse.gif

http://bestsmileys.com/signs12/21.gif

....I like smileys

rigger11
04-15-2007, 04:28 AM
Through "discussion" with Demon666 via PM and his continued posting in the thread

Nothing was said that he couldn't continue to post in the thread.

I know this because i was with him when this happened.

Aaron

christyf5
04-15-2007, 04:43 AM
Through "discussion" with Demon666 via PM and his continued posting in the thread

Nothing was said that he couldn't continue to post in the thread.

I know this because i was with him when this happened.

Aaron

I never said he couldn't continue to post in the thread, I merely asked him to be civil. When he ignored me I instituted the ban. He knew the consequences and seemed to think they wouldn't apply to him.

I've had enough of this. Thread closed.