PDA

View Full Version : cleaner crew!

jordsy
04-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I got a newbie question for you guys
Is it possible to have too many hermits, cleaner shrimp, snails, etc....
I love my inverts but I was just wondering if its bad to have to many

thx

justinl
04-12-2007, 06:47 PM
yes you can have too many. they will evetually deplete your sand bed of all life (except bacteria) and you will then need to supplemetn feed them algae sheets or something. You might as well limit yourself so you don't need to feed them. if you let us know what your tank is like we could help you further.

Pier Pressure
04-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Well if you have too many for the tank space they may start to starve to death because they cannot find enough food. I supplement mine with algae pellets a couple times a week just to be sure they are getting enough nutrition.

What size is your tank? And how many do you have? If you go to J&L Aquatics website, they have recommendations as to how many per gallon, etc. they recommend. You really gotta check out their website. Most comprehensive sale site I have ever seen.

I hope that helps!

jordsy
04-12-2007, 07:04 PM
well i got a 90 gal tank, with a tang, wrasse, some chromies and a long nose butterfly. I got about 8 hermits, 1 cleaner shrimp, one sand sifter starfish, 3 large snails, and 2 conch snails.

I feed the fish twice a day with mysis shrimp cubes and I have algae sheets, but i think the fish eat most of it. Im also gettin some algae growth on the glass and live rock.

jordsy
04-12-2007, 07:20 PM
whoa Jl aquatics say you need one crab per gallon!!! and one snail per gallon and a half. I doesnt seem like 90 crabs would go well..... but at least I know i can splurge on a few more

christyf5
04-12-2007, 07:31 PM
At 90 crabs and 60 snails. Man those crabs would have such a feast.....:wink:

I think I have about 10-15 snails in my tank. No crabs, they just eat the snails anyways. Works for me :biggrin:

Pier Pressure
04-12-2007, 07:41 PM
I went with the J&L recommended amount and have not run into any problems with them so far. Of course, I do not pull them out and count them every day so I am unsure as to how many of each I have left.

Really? My hermits are going to eat my snails? They have been in there together for a couple of months and I have not noticed anybody eating anybody else! However the snails are breeding so maybe they have become a crawling smorgasboard for the crabs.

Hmmm - I shall keep my eyes open and watch for that.

jordsy
04-12-2007, 07:52 PM
haha, Roderick what type of snails do you have
does anyone know of any good snails to help clean my algae on my glass?

fishmaster
04-12-2007, 07:54 PM
I have the J&L's 50-60gal custodian package in my 55. I am running tap water for now and have had no problems with algae. They keep it spotless. The blue hermits are by far the best cleaners in the tank. They do kill each other from time to time. They will kill a snail if given the chance-ie; a turbo falls on it's back. The certh snails are very tough against them as they have a trap door on their shells. I don't think they are causing any negative effects to my sand bed. If anything, they eat any leftover food & mix the top laver. I also have tonnes of pods in the tank. I also have an emerald crab the eat any macro that sprouts up. Seems to work for me.
Shaun.

Pier Pressure
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
There are three different types of snails but I am unsure as to the names. I bought the recommended cleaner crew for a 30 gallon from J&L, so it is those snails. They seem to do a fine job of cleaning algae off the glass and rocks. The only algae that I ever see is coraline algae and they keep that pretty clean so far, too.

bubblepuffer
04-12-2007, 07:58 PM
This question come to mine mind for a long time.. how the Clean up Crew actually work? They suppose to eat garbage, left over food and fish poo from your tank right..then they Poo back to the tank. They won't eat or touch their own Poo.. who will clean up their Poo? Fish or other invert wont touch it.???

fishmaster
04-12-2007, 08:02 PM
BACTERIA!!!!!:mrgreen: and your skimmer

bubblepuffer
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
hmm Unless the Poo can dissolved into the water.. if not the skimmer wont help. Anyone witness bacteria eating this thing? Something worth to study.....:surprise:

I only need 1 clean up crew for Algae and Caroline .. my short spine Urchin.. he clean it up very good and my Huge LR bleach out by him by one night and he keep glinding on the rock and the Poo keep dropping like Sesame seed .. he can go non-stop.. More Purple-up to get Algae/Caroline back for him to munch on it.... he is cool little guy.

howdy20012002
04-12-2007, 08:23 PM
As far as I can understand, skimmers take the undissolved waste and take it out of your tank. They do so by attaching it to the minute bubbles in your skimmer and then gets collected into the collection cup. that is why there is such an odour to skimmers.
basically it is a cup of poop.
all the bacteria does is eat the ammonia and nitrites caused by the breakdown of the material before it gets removed.
this is as far as I understand it.
I have been known to be wrong though.

I personally don't think the the one per gallon is required.
However, IMO, a tank can sustain that ratio, it just isn't required.
I, at times, have that ratio plus much much more.
I then supplement the inverts diet by dried algae.
Neal

fishmaster
04-12-2007, 08:25 PM
from what I've seen, the poo comes out in a runny cloud....at least I think it's poo.

bubblepuffer
04-12-2007, 08:59 PM
After few minutes of investigation and study, found out the final clean up crew will be the reefer him/herself. He/she get to smell all those Poos, brush it off the skimmer cup and yikessss.. first time doing job might be puking :( ..

ron101
04-12-2007, 09:08 PM
I think that you are better off vacuuming your substrate with a siphon every water change rather than trying to buck up for a massive cleanup crew that, itself, adds to the tank's bioload.

albert_dao
04-12-2007, 09:34 PM
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25402&highlight=clean+crew