PDA

View Full Version : Coralife timer powerbars?

MikeP
04-12-2007, 03:47 PM
What are these like? It seems like a good idea, but how well do they work?

justinl
04-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Ive heard iffy things about them. mind you, i haven't used myself.

fishface
04-12-2007, 04:11 PM
i've personally burnt up 2 of them...beware. i'm sure if you do a search you'll see others that have had the same experience.

04scoobysti
04-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Been using the coralife aquatimer with the 2 timers, its been working great so far! much more compact for me than using 3 Home Depot timers and a powerbar! I have heard that people have had problems with them. If that time ever comes, i'll just return it on warranty :)

SuperFudge
04-12-2007, 04:13 PM
To keep it simple, they are in my top 5 worst things ever made for fish tanks.

And to be honest, i cannot believe they are getting a CSA sticker.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-12-2007, 04:18 PM
They work like they're supposed to, but they're limited. The one I bought only lets you alternate between two groups of plug-ins. While one set is on, the other is off, and vice-versa. Not very helpful if you want to keep actinics on for an hour before and after the daytime lights, etc.

04scoobysti
04-12-2007, 04:27 PM
I believe it just a matter of not trying to run too much wattage thru the bar and overloading the circuits (15 amp 120 volt (1875 watts max.)circuit breaker) or just keeping it in a dry place. Every instance of a fire with these powerbar (that ive heard of) has been casued by water getting into the power bar eg. running down the cord.

04scoobysti
04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
They work like they're supposed to, but they're limited. The one I bought only lets you alternate between two groups of plug-ins. While one set is on, the other is off, and vice-versa. Not very helpful if you want to keep actinics on for an hour before and after the daytime lights, etc.

The Aqualight Dual timer does just that, you can have the Actinics and moonlights plugged into the alternating timer and the Daytime lights (up to three cords) plugged into the on/off timer. It opperates the dawn/daytime/dusk/nighttime lighting very well. Like i said before, just keep it dry.

Ticketyboo
04-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I bought the coralife timer that controls 3 lights from a LFS. I had it linked to my coralife lights that have three plugs... white lights, actnics, and the leds... i thought this would be the best combination seeing as they were both the same manufacturer... That was the only input going into my powerbar, so well within power consumption rating.

I woke up the next morning to a banging on my door from my guest, and the power bar was sparking and he states that there was a blue flame comming from the power bar.

I turned everything off and it it partly melted and burned my carpet, i took it to the store where i bought it only a day or so ago and was offered a replacement...... i dont think so.... The potential could have been a disaster.... burned carpet, fish tank, the lot....

Took me a bit to trust timers again, but i have 2 heavy duty timers on my MH lights now and work great, ontop of my building a dedicated cabinet for electrical supplies away from the tank and in an enclosed area with fan for heat aeration.

andestang
04-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Have had mine for going on 3 yrs with a couple of 400 MH & antinics no problems yet. I agree,don't like the limitations for the multiple lights/times, just added on a smaller timer on the bar for the antinics.

Scavenger
04-12-2007, 05:31 PM
I wasn't too impressed with the two of mine. The mechanical timers don't seem to be built to last, and wear out quite quickly. Esp if you run them on the shortest alternation cycle.

fishface
04-12-2007, 07:40 PM
the other problem i had with them is that i found they just weren't reliable, at least the analog versions. maybe they just wear out very early...hopefully before they burn your house down :lol:

kwirky
04-13-2007, 12:55 AM
yeah i've got two of the analog ones. When rotating the on-off switches on the center of the spinners they felt worn out after about 2 months.

I only run T5's and a 150W halide on mine, so there's never more than 200W going through a single power channel, and no more than 400W in a single bar, so that's probably why no flare ups for me.

I know after time the mechanical timers will wear out, and when that time comes, I'll try something different.

fishface
04-13-2007, 01:00 AM
digital timers aren't above the problem either though. i went through 2 garrison digital timers in about 1 year...won't use those again either.

MikeP
04-13-2007, 02:48 PM
The one I was planning on getting is the digital type dual power bar. I don't think I want to risk burning my house down though. What are my other options? Is there a similar product from another manufacturer? Or am I stuck with powerbars and timers from Home Depot?

Thanks

04scoobysti
04-13-2007, 02:54 PM
I think without getting into controllers, that those are pretty much your options, coralife or home depot timer.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-13-2007, 05:01 PM
If you go to Canadian Tire or a similar store, they actually have a pretty good selection of timer outlets, or whatever you'd call them. Some of them are made for outdoors (like for Christmas light applications, I'm gathering) and some are for indoors. I don't know, I have to believe you can get some reliable, heavy duty, sturdy equipment if you're willing to put a little more cash into the mix! Worth a look-see, anyway.

DanG
04-13-2007, 06:13 PM
The LFS I shop at all the time doesn't carry their power products any more, for the above mentioned reason.