PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Tang with Black Spot disease

TANGOMAN
12-03-2002, 02:08 AM
I purchased a Yellow Tang 4 days ago and noticed today a "mild peppering" of black spots. :evil: The fish began occasionally scratching two days ago so I've been expecting some parasite to come a knockin'...
I've never seen this before and reading "Natural Reef Aquariums", Tullock refers to this as an "external worm parasite". "easily treatable..." (easy for him to say :wink: ). The fish is, and has been in quarantine so capture/treatment won't be difficult. It's the form of treatment and success that concerns me.
Tullock recomends "a dip in a bucket of seawater containing a solution of PICRIC ACID..."
Sounds too good to be true...any experience with this is urgently/gratefuly appreciated ! What's the availability of this product in Calgary?

EmilyB
12-03-2002, 02:29 AM
I wouldn't treat it,personally. Black ick apparently usually clears up quickly once the fish is in good water quality with a good diet. Make sure you feed him lots of OSI spirulina flake.

Oh, and of course, keeping cleaner shrimp is mandatory with tangs, IMO :wink:

saltcreep
12-03-2002, 02:46 AM
"Black Ich" is very common for all yellow tangs, as most are hosts to the parasite in the wild. Generally if it show up in the retail trade, it is a sign that the supplier in Hawaii has been lazy and has not bathed the fish in freshwater. This will normally eradicate the disease quite readily. If it is in your tank, it will have to be torn down and one option is to scrub it with bleach (just don't forget to neutralize the bleach afterwards).

TANGOMAN
12-03-2002, 03:28 AM
Emily, I like/agree with your idea. I hate dumpin' in medications when it's unnecessary. The water in my quarantine is from the 60g (fishless) "beginner reef". Stable/aged... After further reading tonite, Im learning the life cycle is similar to that of Cryptocaryon and Amyloodinium. A few days on the fish, fall to the bottom, and WHAMMO !
back with a lethal vengence.
Feeding and activity right now is awesome. Fish acclimated and began feeding very quickly. Setting up the UV might be beneficial ? The bulb is old though and I'm not real keen on droppin' that kind of cash right now...
A freshwater bath sounds like another viable option. Breakdown/sterilize the "Q" tank and refill...damn, no more filter sponge inserts in my sump...
I've also read by Moe, formalin treatments ???

EmilyB
12-03-2002, 03:58 AM
I've done FW baths with clownfish - but I think way too stressful for a tang. I'd never recommend it. Reduce stress and maybe add some garlic.

I still remember the last YT adoption from LSOH.....single bag...man..even most Pisces employees know you double/triple bag a tang.

I failed to call him on it...and had the water and a waterless tang arrive home.

I don't know why I remembered that now....just did... :?

naesco
12-03-2002, 04:06 AM
Although it is stressful for a tang, provided you have chosen a healthy one, do a freshwater dip until the black dots fall off and return the fish to the tank . Observe her very carefully during this process.
Good luck

smokinreefer
12-03-2002, 04:55 AM
FWIW i have had experience with black spot on my yellow tang.

he was the first tang in my tank. i noticed the black dots appear on my tang, because he had started the occassional scratching. i introduced a pair of cleaners. if i remember correctly, it was probably gone in a week. and has never come back.

now i cant say it was strictly due to the shrimp, but i notice the shrimps usually are aggressive, active cleaners of newly introduced (fair sized) fish. but my fish arent actively cleaned by the shrimps anymore...but then again my fish are not sick now either.

i believe, and in my experience, if you have a healthy environment, good water quality, a good diet of foods, lots of greens...and cleaners of some sort,...i am sure your tang can overcome this (and ick).

tear down the tank and sterilize???...that sounds pretty drastic to me.

Delphinus
12-03-2002, 05:42 AM
My first yellow tang suffered from black spots when I first got him. I did the freshwater bath for about 4 minutes and that was enough. This is easy enough if you can catch the fish .... but catching the fish is pretty stressful in and of itself so you definitely don't want to do it more than once. Actually usually the tang won't let it happen more than once, they're not all that dumb..

Anyways the black peppering does fall off after a freshwater dip. But like EmilyB says it's a bit of a crapshoot.

If it were me I'd be thinking about the freshwater dip ... once should be enough.

(It's too bad the freshwater dip doesn't work on ich..... that would be too easy.)

TANGOMAN
12-03-2002, 03:50 PM
I'm going to run my UV on this tank. As mentioned, the fish is and has been in a quarantine tank since acquired. A "sterile" enviroment...hang on filter, pieces of PVC for hiding, thats about it. Tearing down and sterilizing is not a problem.
Yes, capture is very stressful. The net used to catch the fish at the store was the last net to ever touch any of my fish. I "corral" them slowly into a clear glass container and often they don't even realize they're captured...
Help me out with some "terminology"?
What's FWIW, LSOH, BTW...?
Cleaner Shrimp are in my future plans with the Calgary group ordering this week...keeping one in the quarantine tank while I re-stock might be a good idea ? I hate making these decissions. We've all read that with this hobby/pastime you can ask one question and get a hundred different answers. As many of you I'm sure, I take great pride and responsibility in providing the best possible enviroment, diet, etc...for my fish...
I think I'll go with the dip...I always worry those that advise against a method will fail to offer guidance in the future. Unless something was tried with devastating results, ya' gotta' go with the majority ??? No offence to advice not followed,(Emily) :wink:
Advice on this theory ? Simple capture, 4-5 min. dip, return to quarantine tank.(return fish only of course) Leave quarantine tank as is with partial/substantial water change and run UV. Maintain/improve diet and then hope for the best...?
Thanks sooo much for all the help !!!!
Ironically, I had to request that this fish be double-bagged for transport. From a store mentioned earlier... :wink:

PFisher
12-03-2002, 04:13 PM
Have you concidered Hyposalinity? Much less stressful for the fish and from what I have heard and read is one of the most effective meathods of erradicating ick (have not had to deal with ick myself). If you FW dip, the ick on the tang will die, but what about the stuff still in the tank when you put him back in? Just my two cents.

Delphinus
12-03-2002, 05:18 PM
What's FWIW, LSOH, BTW...?

FWIW = For what it's worth
BTW = By the way
IMO = In my opinion
IME = in my experience
IMHO = In my humble opinion
LOL = laughing out loud
ROFL = rolling on floor laughing
ROFLMAO = rolling on floor laughing my <ahem> off
FAQ = frequently asked question(s)
LFS = local fish store
MO = mail order
DIY = do-it-yourself
HOT = hang-on-tank
LSOH = Little Shop of Horrors, a Calgary group nickname for a certain store that happens to be the one that didn't double-bag, hence leading MORE credence the the nickname ...

I can't think of any others offhand. If you see any other obscure TLA's (three letter acronyms), just ask. :)

HTH .... (oops I mean "hope this helps!" ;) )

TANGOMAN
12-03-2002, 05:35 PM
...that went well, I hope. :? Did a 5 min. freshwater dip. UV's runnin'. Fish is back in quarantine and eating and swimming as if nothing happened. A good sign I'm hopin'. The fish didn't appear stressed during dip. Returning to "normal" activity so rapidly I hope is an indcation of success. No spots on fish now either !!! :D
I didn't even consider hypo. treatment. Aaaargh ! That is/was probably the least stressful treatment option. Shall we call that #101... :wink:
I'm hoping the UV will eliminate/reduce the free floating parasite if they've reached that stage of their life-cycle. Siphoned from tank bottom as well with water change.Time will tell...
Thanks again for the guidance here my friends. I look forward to telling ya'll the fish has completed quarantine and is in it's new home. Now I just wait...

200gal
12-04-2002, 03:59 PM
My tang just died this morning. I had noticed these small black spots on him for a couple weeks. Other than the black spots the Tang looked quite healthy. It was just like the WAM and no more. Actually they seemed to appear after the iche white spots dissappeared. Wish I could have read this post before. I thought they were just left over from the white iche dissappearing. My tank water paramaters are all looking good. One other thing the day before the tang died I noticed some white worms flopping around on a patch of rock. I am guessing now that maybe the tang had pooped them out but did not see that. Can anyone give info on this happenning? And also I did notice the iche on some of the other fish and it has cleared up on its own now. Do not notice any of the black iche, does black iche affect any other fish, Lawnmower blenny, clowns, coral beauty?

TANGOMAN
12-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Sorry to hear the Tang died. Mine's doin' great today if that helps... :wink:
I can't say from experience, but based on what I've read in the past few days, Black ich is not "species specific". A parasite more common to a "geographical area". More common in some species,Tang's, and obviously more visible...
Don't know what to say about the white worms so I'll say nothin'... :? may be un-related because that would sound more of an internal parasite and that's just an additional problem... :shock:
Let me/us know how the next 2-6 weeks go. Best of luck from someone who needs it too...

200gal
12-05-2002, 09:24 PM
Well just a few days later now and the rest of my fish are all looking better. Very close examinations and cannot see any black specks. :)