PDA

View Full Version : LF dwarf seahorse

allincuddy
04-11-2007, 04:09 AM
Hi, looking for anyone selling dwarf seahorse, or know where to get them.
Thanks.

fishytime
04-11-2007, 04:42 AM
Colby @ Elite has a tank full o seahorses. Not sure if they are "dwarf" or not.

Edmonton Eskimo
04-11-2007, 04:48 AM
A dwarf seahore;)

andresont
04-11-2007, 06:56 AM
LOL i didn't know that seaHores can be so atractive !

allincuddy
04-11-2007, 09:18 PM
After a 12 pack everything gets better looking.
LOL
Thanks guys my r must be sticking.

christyf5
04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
:rofl:

I fixed it, although it was funny enough to just leave it :razz:

JSTR
04-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Mark

FYI - I have not seen tru e dwarf seahorses (H. zosterea) in Canada in over a year since I last had mine. I have tried to inport them and none of the US shippers want to bother with the paperwork required to ship them.
If I come accross one who will finally ship them, I can let you know but been looking for about 6 months now with no real success.

Elite has baby H. kudas.

Paul

BCOrchidGuy
04-12-2007, 04:58 AM
Are we talking minimermaids?? gosh what a bunch of pervs. No wonder I like it here.

Doug

andsoitgoes
04-23-2007, 10:32 PM
I'm going to bump this, since I'm down to a fishless tank, I'm thinking this might be an option to look at.

Can ANYONE get these beauties in? Please?? :)

ponokareefer
05-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi there,

Just got an e-mail from aquarium illusions in Edmonton with the following headline:
"40 Captive Raised Dwarf Seahorses (Hippocampus kuda) just arrived!"

Thought you might be interested.

Ryan

marcingo
05-03-2007, 02:56 PM
When I looked up hippocampus kuda, every single source stated they grow up to 12 inches. Doesnt seem dwarf to me. One source even had an identical picture to the one we got in our AI email (same background tank and horse) Anyway thats what made me think they are not really dwarf seahorses since from what I have read dwarf dont get much bigger than 1.5 inches.

howdy20012002
05-03-2007, 04:16 PM
Kudas aren't dwarf seahorses.
AI must have made a typo.

Diana
05-03-2007, 04:21 PM
Kuda are not "Dwarf" seahorses, they are pretty regular sized. Really the only species of Dwarf seahorse that gets put into the aquarium trade is H. zosterae. ... and they can be found in the Florida area I believe.

I've tried devising many plans to get them into Canada, since they are actually relatively cheap ($10 a peice US if you only buy a few... and the price goes down from there as you buy more). One such plan was to ship them to friends of mine in Pt.Roberts, and then go over the border with them in my bag (ohhhh how illegal of me). I dont have the guts for it though, but I also dont have a few hundred dollars to fork over for a cites permit.

HOWEVER! They are a lot of work, since you need to daily decapsulate and raise BBS for them. Also, they need to be kept in a small tank (2-5 gallons for a normal sized group, a large group (20+ horses) could be kept in a 10 gallon). And we all know the challenge with keeping water stable in a smaller tank that gets fed once or twice daily.

;)

Alas, it would be an interesting venture... so I would be interested in considering them for my little desktop nano that is sitting empty beside me....

:)
-Diana

howdy20012002
05-03-2007, 04:34 PM
CITES aren't hundreds of dollars BTW (although I should say that they are so I can charge more for corals...lol).
the biggest problem with CITES is that the person shipping the stuff, not the buyer, needs to fill out the paperwork and most suppliers aren't willing.
It can also take up to 2 and half months for the paperwork to be processed.
Neal