PDA

View Full Version : PVC Flex Tubing

digital-audiophile
04-10-2007, 10:26 PM
What kind of flex tubing do you use for your sump pump return. I was looking at this clear braided PVC tubing at the home depot but noticed it says it is for low pressure applications. Is this acceptable or is there a better kind to use?

Thanks!

shotzee
04-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I use the stuff they use for pools and hot tubs. If you stop by a hot tub shop they will carry what you need.

Scavenger
04-10-2007, 10:39 PM
I'm no expert by any means, but I'm assuming by "low pressure applications" that it means you wouldn't have any valve or restrictors (ie tap faucet, ball valve) to impede the flow.

I know our pumps can put out high volumes, but if it's not restricted in any way, how high is the pressure? Perhaps your tubing would work.

Think of the way a coiled garden hose reacts with water flowing through it, and then put a spray nozzle on the end and observe the same.

It might be worth the experiment, then again, that's just me.

shotzee
04-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Is that clear piping at HD actually PVC or is it something else because that might complicate any connections you want to make (assuming you plan on using PVC glue). Why do you want clear pipe anyways, I hate it becuase its vulnerable to algae growth.

digital-audiophile
04-11-2007, 12:54 AM
It's doesn't have to be clear at all, I'm just trying to figure out the right flex piping I need for my return. I'm new to this whole plumbing thing :p

MikeP
04-11-2007, 01:01 AM
I'm learning about plumbing too. Talk to Albert at Golds, he should be able to sell you everything. I'm stopping by there tomorrow to pick up the stuff I need.

Snowmaker
04-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Just use the tried and true hard piping (schedual 40 - pressure piping) so easy to cut and glue. Also very cheap at home depot

TRIX
04-11-2007, 01:56 AM
When I was doing my plumbing I checked all the usuals HD Rona etc. Albert at Golds Had all the best stuff and was actually cheaper than getting the lower quality stuff at the hardware and plumbing stores. If you want you can spend the time driving around to research it all yourself but I'm sure you'll end up with Albert

digital-audiophile
04-11-2007, 02:05 AM
I'll see Albert on the weekend then. I only really need a couple feet to come off my pump to the wall and then I am switching up to Sch.40 PVC up the back of the tank and into it. I just need the flex to come off the pump.

Delphinus
04-11-2007, 02:55 AM
Little tip, get "spa flex" pipe, it's flexible PVC and joins to regular PVC fittings (better to use the clear cement though as it has a little more give than the grey). Get it at Western Pump, just ask for it at the counter, if you call it "flex PVC" they'll know what you mean.

The clear braided tubing you get at Home Depot/Rona/etc. is fine to use, but you need hose barb fittings (hose barb to MPT {"male pipe thread"} adapters). I think it's technically PVC as well but I just call that stuff vinyl tubing (again most people will know what you mean if you call it that).

When you're plumbing the sump return pipe (from the pump), make sure to use a small piece of flex PVC or the vinyl tubing between the pump and the sump wall (if you're using an inline pump, that is), to absorb vibration from the pump. This will make it less noisy, plus it protects the glass from any shocks (pump gets bumped) and vibration (worst case scenario it can break glass).

Kryten
04-11-2007, 03:49 AM
The other thing about that home depot stuff is that it really isn't all that flexible. It really likes to stay in the coil shape that it comes off the roll and it takes quite a bit of pressure to force it to do otherwise. Like enough to lift a hang-on overflow box up off the edge of your tank... :cry:

Delphinus
04-11-2007, 05:15 AM
Ah .. there's a trick to that stuff. It needs to be heated and then its malleable, and will restiffen as it cools.

So for example to slip it on easily onto a hose barb, dip the end in hot water for about 10-20 seconds and then its workable.

The larger stuff (1.5" diameter) will even collapse on itself at the store, so you have to work on getting the length you need heated up and then you can open it up, hold it in place at the shape you want it and when it cools it will be good again.

MikeP
04-11-2007, 05:28 AM
I'll see Albert on the weekend then. I only really need a couple feet to come off my pump to the wall and then I am switching up to Sch.40 PVC up the back of the tank and into it. I just need the flex to come off the pump.

I'm planning on buying about 10 feet from Albert. That should be more than I need. If you can wait I might have that much left over. It's yours if you want to come by to pick it up.

mark
04-11-2007, 05:45 AM
I'm using a combination of "spa-flex" and rigid PVC on my return, drains and CL.

Like said before, Spa-flex will match up to PVC fittings (elbow, tee's etc) and really is comparatively cheap.

digital-audiophile
04-11-2007, 12:26 PM
I'll be using a rio 32HF internal pump and it has the option of the NPT thread off the pump or a hose barb. If using this spaflex would I need to use a female NPT tp PVC spiggot to fit this tubing? Then do you glue it with PVC primer/glue?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Delphinus
04-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Think of spaflex as exactly the same as your rigid PVC, except that it bends. You wouldn't need a hose barb for it, just your regular PVC fittings.

Now, I have a Rio 32HF on my ritteri tank and I don't remember it having NPT thread option, I'll have to look at it again. I just used a 1' section of vinyl hose that slips over the output and then a hose barb and then into my return plumbing manifold. But if it does have the NPT option then you just need whatever adapter to fit into it. Either a MPT that threads right into it, or a FPT that the pump threads into, or you can use MPT with a close nipple if need be (might be the easier option if your using a bushing to step up the plumbing size, for example)..

digital-audiophile
04-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Off the return on the pump there is a little slip adapter that fits in it that has an NPT thread on it, in the box there are two hose barb adapters, 3/4"/1" if I recall correctly that thread onto that small "nubbin" maybe I'll hit up western pump on Saturday with those pieces in hand to see what they suggest. I want to make it so I can easily disconnect the line from the pump as well so I can service it, without having to try to cut stuff apart to pull it out of the sump.

Maybe I'll snap a few pics when I get home tonight to illustrate what am trying to do.

Quinster
04-11-2007, 04:31 PM
on all my plumbing I use at least a couple inches of Spa Flex on the inlet and outlet lines to help dampen vibrations, I also place either a union or a union valve for easy removal for cleaning.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g38/PrairieReefSupplies/Landing%20System/SumpPumpHeaterTopoff.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/Quinster/Equipment/MVC-014S.jpg

Delphinus
04-11-2007, 08:16 PM
A union like what Quinn has would work. I just don't remember anymore, but I could have done the vinyl tubing just because it's just as easy to remove if I need to clean the pump. But it doesn't slip off (or leak for that matter, not that it would matter much since it's in the sump) on its own, but it's just basically a low-tech alternative. If you ever want to pop by I could show you have I have it, shoot me a PM if you'd like to check it out. Or I could pop by and help you sometime...

Canadbis
04-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I am using some of that braided flex tubing from Home Depot, and as stated by Tony, Heat it up and hold until cool. That is the only way to get the "perma bend" out of it. I have had no problems with leaks or kinks in it since I heated it. If I was to do it all again I would stick to the PVC solid tubing.
Next tank ;)

digital-audiophile
04-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks again guys :) All the help really is appreciated. :)