PDA

View Full Version : Do FOWLRs Skim Wetter?

Johnny Reefer
04-08-2007, 05:03 AM
My 180g Reef and 180g FOWLR systems are very similar. Both have large sumps with refugiums and both have RS 250 Euro Reef skimmers that are adjusted in a virtually identical manner. (I have the airline valve wide open on both).

The main differences of the two systems are:
- The FOWLR sump is a 70g. The Reef sump is a 135g.
- The Reef has a chiller. The FOWLR does not.
- The Reef has MH lighting. The FOWLR as PC lighting. (But I think this is irrelevant).
- The Reef system has 336 lbs Live Rock. The FOWLR has 265 lbs. (But it works out to the same lbs/gal for both).
- The Reef has corals (obviously). The FOWLR has a couple of Mushrooms.
- I feed the fish in the FOWLR Silversides a lot. I never feed Silversides to the Reef fish.

My FOWLR skimmer always skims wetter than my Reef skimmer and I’m wondering why. I’m thinking it’s the Silversides, but I’m not certain of this. Just wondering if other people have had similar skimming with their FOWLR’s (ie: skimming wet).

While I’m at it. I’ve heard people advise now and then “Skim wet.” or “Skim dry.”, as if this is an easy thing to control. Heck, I’m just happy that my skimmers are skimming. But I am curious how one can attain the “touch” of actually controlling the type of skimmate. Tips?

Thanx much,

Quagmire
04-08-2007, 05:07 AM
I can't coment on FOWLR but when I feed silversides to my reef and anemone tanks.The skimmers skim wet or overflow depending on how much I feed.
As for tips on adjusting the skimmers,I use the gate valve mod for the euro reef.Make fine adjustments easy and you don't get the noise from the water running down the sponge.

Johnny Reefer
04-08-2007, 05:32 AM
Yes. When I feed the Silversides the skimmer skims wetter than wet. In other words, the skimmer always skims wet. So, I'm thinking it's the amount (like daily) of the Silversides that causes this all the time.

As for the gate valves...I have them too. I get that these control the height of the skimmate, not the quality. Am I missing something there?

Thanx much,

Quagmire
04-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Ok see what you're asking now.I wonder maybe if its the mucus from the corals making the reef skimmate thicker.Or is your FOWLR supper clean and nothing to skim

Johnny Reefer
04-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanx for the input. Maybe that the corals cause the Reef to skim dryer. Makes sense. I should have mentioned, too, that the FOWLR skimmate is a greenish colour whereas the Reef skimmate is a dark brown. Not a big deal. It just means that the FOWLR skimmer collection cup fills up faster, thus requiring more frequent emptying. I can live with it. Just thought others might have the same experiences like this.

Cheers,