PDA

View Full Version : Well, that was an expensive meal...

Rippin
04-07-2007, 09:00 PM
So I purchased two peppermint shrimp for the tank. They were small, but not much smaller than the purple pseudochromis and six line wrasse in the tank.

As soon as I put them in the tank the pseudochromis attacked the larger shrimp. Within a minute it was ripped in half and both the pseudochromis and wrasse had halves in their mouths. I know it will just be a matter of time before the other peppermint shrimp meets the same fate, if it hasn't already.

Well, at least the fish's bellies are fat now :lol:

Boy these fish are viscious.....

Live and learn, I guess.

Ruth
04-07-2007, 09:15 PM
I had the same thing happen to me with my Angel fish. Put in about 4 or 5 peppermints and whoosh - like Tiny Tim on a Christmas Ham - gone. I was successful in getting a couple of peppers into that tank by taking them in my hand and actually putting them in the rockwork. Once they were there the fish didn't bother them but man oh man if they were in the water column they were fair game. They were the same with snails - if I didn't make sure they were attached to the side of the tank and they fell through the water column - snack time.

justinl
04-07-2007, 09:16 PM
hahaha that's harsh. poor shrimpies. I got two peps isolated in a lil soap dish type thing in my tank. still trying to figure out what i want to do with them. ah well, if i ever run out of food, they can be a sacraficial treat to my fish.

fortheloveofcrabs
04-07-2007, 09:20 PM
"like Tiny Tim on a Christmas Ham"

That's aweome! Hahaha! But seriously, poor shrimp.... ham.....

andestang
04-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Had the same happen to me yesterday, put one peppermint in and my flame hawk was in there like a dirty shirt:confused:. Saved the second and put him in the other tank till he gets bigger. Have one in with the flame already, but must be just on the right size of being big enough.

Rippin
04-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Putting the shrimp directly on the rock is a good idea. The first one made it to the rockwork, but the second one just was swimming against the glass. You should have seen the evil eye the pseudochromis had just before it attached the shrimp :twised: <--- yes, like this.

I'm sure the one in the rockwork will be eaten as well, since it was smaller.

Well, next time I'm getting a big @ss peppermint shrimp that can fight off the fishies.