PDA

View Full Version : Who Prunes Macro

Der_Iron_Chef
04-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Just wondering.....who, if any, prunes macroalgaes that grow in their display tanks? I have a rock covered in yellow polyps, but there's a LOT of macro growing in-between the polyps, and kind of overshadowing them.

mark
04-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Used to about every month with my Halimedia.

Ruth
04-07-2007, 08:27 PM
I prune my cheato in my sump about every 1-2 months - depending on growth. Too bad there were not more people up here that could use it as I just end up putting it in the trash.

untamed
04-08-2007, 01:09 AM
I prune macro in the display tank every week. My tank grows some grape, some brown,leafy stuff that looks like kelp, and some really firm, red stuff.

I don't have to trim the Halimeda because it grows so slowly.

It's a good form of nutrient export. I don't keep a refugium and generally like how macro algae looks in the display tank.

justinl
04-08-2007, 02:05 AM
i got some red macro in my display (i like the look of the one piece waving in the current). No problems with over growth but when it does get too long id prune it.

BCOrchidGuy
04-09-2007, 02:57 AM
I've moved most of the macro from my display tank to my sump but when it was in the display tank I'd just use my hands and tear it out of an area if it was starting to grow onto any corals. I like a small amount in the display tank, I think it looks attractive and it's functional.

Doug

demon666
04-09-2007, 05:17 AM
i cant seem to grow my cheato worth a damn so so far i have never had to prune it

briansmyth
04-09-2007, 05:34 AM
I, too, like the look off some green grape caulerpa in my tank - it does grow well without a Tang or others who'd like to nibble on it - I harvest or cull it weekly.