PDA

View Full Version : Power down for 9 hours, help?

andsoitgoes
04-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Okay - so we lost power for about 9 hours thanks to a horrid MVA (stupid drivers...) and I think we may have some issues in our 45g reef tank...

We have a pygmy angel that we got from Raf a few months back, and out of all the fish he seems to be doing the worst. He's currently laying on his side ON the sand laying on his side panting. The temp dropped quite a bit in that tank (down to 73.6 F) and there was no water flow the entire time. he was jumping all night long basically TRYING to get out of the tank, my wife saw him hopping earlier today

The power just went back on and the wife noticed the state of our tanks, and everyone is panting heavily in the display of our 45g. I'm going to do a water change tonight, but does anyone have any ideas as to what I can keep an eye on (well, the wife - as I'm at work until 5pm today)

Of course, my nano is kosher with no problems and no causalities, figures.

Thanks in advance.

michika
04-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Add a powerhead to airate the water, and slowly start bringing the water temperature back up.

andsoitgoes
04-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Add a powerhead to airate the water, and slowly start bringing the water temperature back up.

I've got my 2 MJ1200's in the display running, and the return pump plus the AC1000 (pusing through UV sterilizer) in the sump to keep the water moving. The heater is back on and is slowly going to bring the temp back up.

michika
04-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Are any of your corals stressed? They may be releasing something into the water, so perhaps adding carbon to the mix would be good.

Other then that its just a wating game. I really hope everything pulls through for you.

Ruth
04-07-2007, 05:57 PM
Point the power heads at the surface so that you get lots of surface movement to force oxygen into the water. Also if you have a skimmer make sure that it is running.
Angels are very finicky about low oxygen levels. I lost 2 beautiful angels when I lost circulation in my tank overnight.

andsoitgoes
04-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Point the power heads at the surface so that you get lots of surface movement to force oxygen into the water. Also if you have a skimmer make sure that it is running.
Angels are very finicky about low oxygen levels. I lost 2 beautiful angels when I lost circulation in my tank overnight.

I was worried about that, thought of you when this happened.

I've got both pointed right at the surface making some nice waves, I'm going to keep the lights off for another few hours.

Skimmer is running as well.

All the corals are actually looking crappy, but nothing is looking really bad. I need to add in some carbon but I'll have to wait until I get home to do that.

UPDATE - Seems that everything is perking back up. My tang is kosher, and my Angel is gone from the spot he was, so maybe that's a good sign, I hope...

Raf
04-07-2007, 06:51 PM
did you do anything to the tank during the power outage to provide 02 and heat?

andsoitgoes
04-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Unfortunately not - usually our power outtages are a few hours, when it happened I figured there'd be no issues and realized there were when our daughters woke us up in the morning and I was late for work :(

Raf
04-07-2007, 06:58 PM
too bad :(

I would definately get at least one battery powered airpump per tank and use a thick blanket to cover the tank in and/or float 2L soda pop bottles with warm/hot water in the tank is temp starts dropping too low.

Hope everyone pulls through

justinl
04-07-2007, 06:59 PM
sux to hear. I hope all your stuff survives okay.

in the future you might want to look into a backup energy source in case of an outage. options could include...
1) a generator if you can afford it (you'd have to be around to turn it on)
2) a UPS (uninterruptible power source... i think). they're made for computers but i use one on my tank.
3)pennplax airpump. you just kind of leave it in thetank and when power goes out, it come on. they're the battery powered ones.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Nothing to recommend that others haven't already. I hope the angel pulls through....good luck.

andsoitgoes
04-07-2007, 08:25 PM
So far so good, another update from the wife that everyone, INCLUDING mr. man is having a blast. I'll do a WC tonight to clean the crum out and run some carbon...

Y'know - What's the best option for doing carbon in a tank without any HOB or fluidized filters? I'm thinking of just tossing a HOB on for the next few days to help, but that seems a little... well, odd :)

BTW - Info on the accident that took out the power:

http://www.news1130.com/news/topstory/article.jsp?content=20070407_093215_5520

justinl
04-07-2007, 08:52 PM
glad to hear your stuff is okay! ive heard of people just putting carbon in a filter sock and just floating it in front of a powerhead. *shrug* it could work even if it is a bit crude and... well ugly.

about the crash: heavy. hope those three at the hospital are okay. ten bucks and a soda says speeding was involved.

andsoitgoes
04-07-2007, 09:01 PM
glad to hear your stuff is okay! ive heard of people just putting carbon in a filter sock and just floating it in front of a powerhead. *shrug* it could work even if it is a bit crude and... well ugly.

about the crash: heavy. hope those three at the hospital are okay. ten bucks and a soda says speeding was involved.

Actually that makes a lot of sense, either that or I'll just put it in a quickfilter and toss that onto my powerhead. So simple, and I'm here thinking so complex, sounds about normal!

To add, I bet there was more than just speed involved. Looking at 88th closer to KG, there were a few more signposts and small trees taken out. Apparently the crash scene was just *insane*, you couldn't even tell what vehicle was involved.

Swordtail
04-07-2007, 09:22 PM
If you lost any livestock, I would call BC Hydro .Tell them you had a power outage and lost some livestock.They' will tell you it was from an MVA and give a claim # asscociated with the accident.An adjuster will send you some papers to fill out.They will cover the first $500 no deductable,anything above that goes thru house insurance.

andsoitgoes
04-07-2007, 09:25 PM
If you lost any livestock, I would call BC Hydro .Tell them you had a power outage and lost some livestock.They' will tell you it was from an MVA and give a claim # asscociated with the accident.An adjuster will send you some papers to fill out.They will cover the first $500 no deductable,anything above that goes thru house insurance.

Y'know, one would think I'd have some clue about this due to the fact that I work for ICBC, but nope - didn't even occur to me! VERY nice, I don't want to abuse it, but I'll have to check and see if all is good. heh. Thanks!

justinl
04-07-2007, 09:54 PM
awesome! I did NOT know that! ... yeah i uhhhh lost my uhhh... dragon eel. yeah that's it. 500$ please:biggrin: