PDA

View Full Version : Hardwood Floor

Oscar
04-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Now that we have finished some renos my SO has accepted the fact that she pre-appoved an aquarium once the renos were completed.

Due to the layout of our home I really have only 2 viable locations. One is a small corner on tile that would requirea tall tank to provide volume > 30 G. The other is along one wall but is on hardwood floor I installed last year.

Last time I had a tank was a 20G freshwater setup in high school. I do not recall any issues with water spillage.

Am I being overly concerned regarding a SW setup with sump and locating it on hardwood floor? Just thinking of both small and major spillage potential. What are the design and maintenance considerations installing a tank in the central living space?

Thanks in advance.

bubblepuffer
04-07-2007, 05:46 PM
What I did, is put a thick rubber mats on the floor where the tank will be sitting on. There is nothing much you can do if there is major on the tank. Normal water spill or anything will get to the rubber mat where I can wipe it off ..

Check with hardware store, see any heavy duy hardwood protection coating you can use on the floor, those prevent scratch, water and stuff...

Pescador
04-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I used that clear plastic runner they use on carpets under my 120 and sealed the inside of the stand as much as I could with silicone.
It was flexible and it curved up at the back against the wall above the baseboard.
When I ended up moving the tank the wood was fine. I was kind of surprised cuz I'd had a few spills.
Depending on your setup you could even have a tray with a drain line in the stand.

Oscar
04-07-2007, 08:07 PM
A combination of rubber mat and building the cabinet with built in "trays" for both the sump and the tank itself seem like reasonable ideas.

Other than a complete tank failure what are the common sources of water spillage?

EmilyB
04-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Other than a complete tank failure what are the common sources of water spillage?

Human error. I do that one a lot....

fortheloveofcrabs
04-07-2007, 09:23 PM
I have mine on hardwood - no mat. I like to live on the edge.

I can see under the tank with a flash light and the floor looks fine. I spill often, but I'm careful in cleaning up after.

marie
04-07-2007, 09:36 PM
I decided to go with a cork laminate on my floor just because I am a very messy person and I am counting on cork being water resistant :lol:

Oscar
04-10-2007, 01:00 AM
I decided to go with a cork laminate on my floor just because I am a very messy person and I am counting on cork being water resistant :lol:

Of course any wood product has been dried to a certain degree so that when you add water you get a very nice buckling effect. I guess you could view it as static waves in your living room.

BCOrchidGuy
04-10-2007, 03:59 AM
I just noticed my dog seems to be peeing on the side of my tank stand during the day. On the good side, my girlfriend can't blame me for the stained carpet around the fish tank anymore... Oh and yeah I've spilled some water once or twice...

Doug

mark
04-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Before I moved, had my 75g (with 4 leveling feet) direct on the hardwood floor without any problems.

Sure, spilled some tank water but also had milk and juice and a lot of other liquids, just wiped it up. Would be concerned if I had a mat or something under the tank that could trap water and wouldn't allow me to wipe the floor dry.

Chaloupa
04-10-2007, 05:14 AM
I have a 120g and a 150g in our family room (combined with sumps is over 300g) which are on a laminate floor...we have had no issues with water damage (and I have spilled MORE than my fair share!)...more issues with the dog we no longer have who liked to pee in one area of the floor...that did damage the floor...the salt water-no problem...if you have true hardwood I would be even less concerned...