PDA

View Full Version : Filters? (camera accessory not tank fixture)

AndyL
04-06-2007, 12:09 AM
Anyone played with using any of the various filters on their camera's when taking tank pictures? Are there any that are of any use / benefit?

Reefhawk1
04-06-2007, 12:35 AM
As in Camera UV filters?

I use a standard UV filter on my Canon D30. It changes the coloration slightly but I haven't found much benefit yet.

Delphinus
04-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Polarizer.

I don't have one but it's my next camera related purchase. It makes the colours pop and .. well ... it's polarized. :lol: Meaning you should be able to rotate away any glare from the glass among other things.

Snappy
04-06-2007, 02:32 AM
Polarizer?? I just put my "Maui Jim's" in front of the lens.:razz:

AndyL
04-06-2007, 04:28 AM
I've seen a ton of em out there - uv, polarizing, various for flourescent lighting, diffusers, neutral density (?) among dozens of others...

Just wondering before spending silly money on useless filters which ones may be useful...

Der_Iron_Chef
04-06-2007, 04:31 AM
Polarizer is the single most useful filter you can buy! Some might disagree, but....well....they're just wrong :smile:

As mentioned, a polarizer will minimize glare off reflective surfaces (glass, water, etc.), and will make colours/contrasts much more dramatic (a cloudy sky taken with a polarizer is much more appealing than without, for example).

Git it!

Delphinus
04-06-2007, 04:42 AM
Polarizer! .. Wait, I already said that. But I thought I'd say it again since you asked again. :p