PDA

View Full Version : Check out this SPS tank

GrimReefer
04-04-2007, 09:13 PM
i found this tank on ratemyfishtank.com. for some crazy reason it is number 10, and not number 1.

http://hausriff.ch/media/DIR_147758/DSC01927.JPG

http://hausriff.ch/media/DIR_147758/DSC01928.JPG

http://hausriff.ch/media/DIR_147758/DSC01930.JPG

http://hausriff.ch/media/DIR_147758/DSC01935.JPG

he's from Switzerland and says it is lit with straight T5s.
http://hausriff.ch/4534/108355.html

michika
04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
Wow!

demon666
04-04-2007, 09:15 PM
damn whats #1 look like?

GrimReefer
04-04-2007, 09:21 PM
damn whats #1 look like?

i'd have to say the ratings are not exactly accurate (to my tastes anyways). i think this is probably the most impressive tank i've ever seen.

but number one is quite nice as well.

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/images/thumbimg/650/4108_3.jpg

demon666
04-04-2007, 09:25 PM
id say....... #10 is way nicer then #1............... but what do i know im a lps and softie kind of guy:biggrin:

Murminator
04-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Thats crazy

danny zubot
04-04-2007, 10:14 PM
My tank (which doesn't even compare to either of those) was rated number 1 for a short while too. It all depends on how many votes you get.

Snappy
04-04-2007, 10:30 PM
That 1st place one is rated 1/500 world wide? :rolleyes: Wow that guy must of had a lot of friends voting. It really doesn't do much for me, but the sps tank from Switzerland.....OH YEAH BABY! That is an awesome tank. Seeing tanks like that for me is a real inspiration and sure gives me something to aspire to. One day maybe. Yup one of these days.

Reefer Rob
04-04-2007, 11:56 PM
That #10 tank is Iwan's tank. He dismantled that one and started a new larger Zeovit tank. Lots of fanfare on RC with it's unavailing. Then he dropped off the face of the earth.

GrimReefer
04-05-2007, 12:21 AM
thanks Rob, i was trying to find a way to track him down. hopefully he's still around?

Justusfish
04-05-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm suffering from coral envy. That's a shocking bit of growth!!!! How is that even possible? I don't even see a rock in there; it's all coral!! Good lord, I feel so inadequate!

zulu_principle
04-05-2007, 03:20 AM
sorry I should probably search this but do the t-5's drive hotter in Europe ?

With 220 volts do they achieve a higher par then in North America ?

Thanks

Wendell

michika
04-05-2007, 04:10 AM
I'm suffering from coral envy. That's a shocking bit of growth!!!! How is that even possible? I don't even see a rock in there; it's all coral!! Good lord, I feel so inadequate!

The colors are just amazing, just looking at the full tank shot makes me want to drool. Can you imagine how much pruning this guy must do? I wonder if he shared/sold them when his tank was up.

Reefer Rob
04-05-2007, 04:28 AM
I think a lot of the T5 fixtures in Europe "overdrive" the tubes. You can achieve the same result with Icecap ballasts. A 5' 80W tube will be about 100W with an Icecap. More than enough light, but a little flat looking IMO.

GrimReefer
04-05-2007, 04:36 AM
he claims that the colours improved after switching from MH to T5...

Advice: In my opinion the most important ingredients for successfully keeping sensitive sea animals are: Take time, much time and watch the animals closely. Changes to the system must always be done slowly. Fast changes usually have negative impacts. Don't overlook the fact that most of the available animals and decorations (LR) are taken from the oceans. As a diver in tropical waters I enjoy swimming in untouched coral-reefs, full of great and small life. The ability to do this in an incomparable system is very important to me. As a diver there is an unwritten law: "Grasp nothing, do not carry anything forward... Except photos and memories." The thought to put animals from this singular habitat into an artificial biotope seems grotesque. The uniqueness of the habitat "coral reef" is dependent on every resident. Every organism is a small, important part in the success of this wonderful world. It is necessary to understand and be conscience of these. I try to offer my animals an adequate and natural habitat. If possible, I always give after-cultivations and coral fragments the advantage. My topmost aim is keeping corals and fishes and not has to replace them. Unfortunately, there are reef keepers who replace the fishes and corals once in a while. Simply, unsuitable conditions and a lack of experience/interests are the reasons for it. I personally disassociate myself with those that do not care. The preservation of the natural coral-reefs isn't only a thing for the governments; everybody can and should make their own contributions.
Fish Kept: 2 Zebrasoma flavescens 1 Zebrasoma veliferum 20 Pseudanthias squamipinnis 11 Chromis virdis 3 Amphiprion ocellaris 2 Oxycirrhites typus 2 Synchiropus splendidus 2 Labroides dimidiatus 1 Salarias fasciatus 1 Gobiodon okinawae 2 Gobiodon histrio
Corals/Plants Kept: several stone corals
Tank Size: 210

Photo caption: full view

Description: Tank Details: - Tank Size: 210 gallons - Lighting: Pure T5!! 2x54 Watt ATI Aquablue Special 2x54 Watt ATI Blue Plus 4x80 Watt ATI Aquablue Special 4x80 Watt ATI Blue Plus For a total of 856 Watts. The lamps are changed every 6-8 months. T5 for stone corals? The light conditions compared at tropical reef roofs, we can often offer our corals only compromises both in the spectral light composition and in the intensity of radiation. It just therefore makes sense to put the radiant energy with artificial light sources available in the areas in which the photosynthesis is supported optimally. In comparison with the exclusive illumination with HQI the lights offer the corals a more efficient possibility with T5 technology of delivering sufficiently photo synthetically utilizable radiation (PUR). This also is due to the more unfavorable radiation orientation besides the high waste of energy (approx. 20%) of the much HQI lamps with a stronger shading of one's own. Through this coral can as a percentage absorb less PUR radiation. By the T5 lights my corals have got much more colored. The growth also has increased. For me the T5 technology is the best opportunity for the light extraction. - Water Changes: 10% weekly changes with Reverse Osmosis water. - Technical Equipment: Skimmer: Aquamedic Turbofloater Flow pumps: Tunze Streams Ozone: None UV: None

ClubReef
04-05-2007, 05:34 AM
I really like these T5 tanks. Some of them are gorgeous such as IWAN's. But one thing I have noticed with T5 is the corals become bit more pastel over time. I see this in my own tank now that I have a T5 and MH combo. Perhaps this is due to the wider spread of light with the T5 tubes or maybe intensity??? Have others noticed this effect?

Reefer Rob
04-05-2007, 02:25 PM
I liked the pastel look with T5s rather than the darker on the bottom look with MH. The only thing I (and more important, my wife) didn't like with T5s was the washed out look it gives the whole tank. I'm running 400W MHs now. If the heat thing is too much of a PTA this summer, I'm switching back to T5s (over-driven) with my next bulb change... if my wife lets me:redface:

DocReefer
04-06-2007, 02:57 AM
Really nice. I wish......

GrimReefer
04-06-2007, 03:12 AM
I really like these T5 tanks. Some of them are gorgeous such as IWAN's. But one thing I have noticed with T5 is the corals become bit more pastel over time. I see this in my own tank now that I have a T5 and MH combo. Perhaps this is due to the wider spread of light with the T5 tubes or maybe intensity??? Have others noticed this effect?

with the T5/MH combo, do you still get a nice glimmer effect?

ClubReef
04-06-2007, 03:57 AM
The glimmer is still present.