PDA

View Full Version : Dipping SPS

michika
04-04-2007, 08:16 PM
I'm trying to find alternate products for dipping SPS before adding it to my display. Right now Interceptor is my product of choice. I have also heard about people using Kent Marine's Lugol's Solution.

What other options are out there and how do you use them? Also where can you find these products?

marie
04-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I suppose it's a matter of what your dipping for. Inteceptor works for red bugs but not much else. Lugols is alright i guess if you have bacterial problems but it can kill the coral before it gets the red bugs. I have no idea what kills montipora flatworms, I suspect starvation is the only sure fire way there :razz:

I only dip if I suspect a problem and quarantining is important if you want to spot problems before it reaches the main tank :mrgreen:

Snappy
04-04-2007, 09:16 PM
Catherine,
Warner Research (Reefpure) has a dip that I have heard good reports on but haven't used it myself yet. I also have been using interceptor. I know Wais in Calgary has the Reefpure dip, not sure who else carries it but I imagine A/I in Edmonton could get it or something similar for you.

michika
04-04-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm just researching for the sake of knowing. My tank got wiped out in 2005 due to red bugs so I'm very familiar with Interceptor. My goal is mostly for preventative measures not necessarily for treatment of a specific illness.

demon666
04-04-2007, 09:20 PM
pm albert im sure he would know of something or a way of getting it to you up here if ya say you dont want to go to "AI"........... lol

muck
04-04-2007, 09:54 PM
You could check out Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure.

http://www.tropic-marin.com/web/english/produkte/pro-coral-cure.htm

and yes I do know where you can get it. :)

michika
04-04-2007, 10:18 PM
You could check out Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure.

http://www.tropic-marin.com/web/english/produkte/pro-coral-cure.htm

and yes I do know where you can get it. :)

Es ist keine Website an dieser Adresse konfiguriert. = Webpage not available. I'm sad!

These are all awesome suggestions. Keep 'em coming!

untamed
04-05-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm just researching for the sake of knowing. My tank got wiped out in 2005 due to red bugs so I'm very familiar with Interceptor. My goal is mostly for preventative measures not necessarily for treatment of a specific illness.

Wiped out due to red bugs? I know that they are annoying and bad for some acros, but I've not heard stories of them wiping out a tank.

michika
04-05-2007, 01:06 AM
Yeah all my SPS went in 2005 and in the same period I had a sudden rash of fish death, all animals that had been in my tank for a year or more. My 77 was filled with SPS colonies and a few frags.

Granted nothing has happend in my 230g *knock on wood* but I want to look at other ways to dip SPS and take preventative measures so I don't have another wipe out.

Ruth
04-05-2007, 01:21 AM
I use the Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure to dip all my SPS before they go into my tank. I am not sure exactly what it does but have not had any problems either introducing or with diseases or STN/RTN after I have introduced.

michika
04-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Do you just dip in a bucket or do you have to have a separate system running for a few days like Interceptor?

Ruth
04-05-2007, 01:50 AM
Just in a bucket or tupperware type container. You only dip for 10-15 minutes. I like to have 2 tupperware containers - one with the solution and one of just tank water so after I dip the coral I put it into the container of just tank water for about 5 minutes and swish it around a bit and then put it in the tank.

Edit - It is supposed to kill flatworms but I have never recieved a coral with flatworms nor (knock furiously on wooden head) had them in any of my systems so cannot vouch for this.

michika
04-05-2007, 02:20 AM
Ruth,

Does it affect coral coloration or anything physical that you can see? Does it incite the coral to produce extra "slime"?

Ruth
04-05-2007, 02:46 AM
As far as I can see it does not effect color at all.
It's a bit harder to say on the slime though because I have noticed that some corals seem to slime and some don't. Living where I do just about all of my SPS have been shipped so they are somewhat stressed already. If I had to hazard a guess I would say that the dip does not seem to cause the corals to slime more than they would have anyway just given the stress of shipping and being introduced to a new system. I have been using the dip on all my new corals that I have introduced in the last 6 months or so. I will try and post a picture in the next couple of days of my SPS tank so that you can see the colors. Most, if not all, have colored up nicely in about a month or less. HTH

michika
04-05-2007, 04:15 AM
That definitely does help.

I think I'm going to change my regiment for adding new coral to my tank. Obviously Interceptor isn't a catch-all and my vet is starting to get annoyed with my regular requests to replenish my supply. I am leaning mostly towards Tropic Marin Pro-Coral Cure, but I also want to research Greg's suggestion of Warner Research's Reefpure further until I am sure I can make an informed decision.

Just for the sake of knowing, does anyone freshwater dip? Benefits? Drawbacks?

Ruth
04-06-2007, 12:42 AM
Catherine - as promised here is a (rather bad) picture of my SPS tank taken today. Just about all of these corals have been "dipped" using the Tropic Marin dip.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/Fulltank0407.jpg

michika
04-06-2007, 02:23 AM
Wow!

I did just pick up some Tropic Marine Coral Cure from Reefwerkz tonight, and will be trying it out shortly!