PDA

View Full Version : window screen in reef tank

fishmaster
04-04-2007, 05:07 PM
Can I use regular window screen in my reef, or is there a specific brand thats safe? I just got a neon goby and he can easily fit through the mesh in my overflow & powerheads.
Thanks for the help,
Shaun.

Todd
04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
I would stay away from the metal stuff, but I would think the plastic would be fine. I would give it a good washing before I put it in.

Delphinus
04-04-2007, 07:42 PM
I might consider doubling up the mesh over the overflow (if you're using gutter guard... if not using gutter guard, then I might consider using gutter guard).

Plastic window screening is safe to use wet in your tank, but I think you will find it will clog easily and cause overflows if you're actually straining water through it.

Snappy
04-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I might consider doubling up the mesh over the overflow (if you're using gutter guard... if not using gutter guard, then I might consider using gutter guard).

Plastic window screening is safe to use wet in your tank, but I think you will find it will clog easily and cause overflows if you're actually straining water through it.
It will clog in a very short time. I would try using some acrylic with slots cut into it.

Scavenger
04-04-2007, 08:38 PM
I agree window screen is a flood waiting to happen.

What if you were to drill a hole in the overflow cover. and install a reefsafe plug. If goby goes into overflow, pull the plug until it swims out. Maybe after a few trips into the overflow, it might get the idea.

fishmaster
04-05-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the the advise. Good call on the window screen clogging. I won't use it. Where do you get the gutter gaurd? How small are the holes? My overflow box is acrylic with 1/4" slots. I've covered it with rigid plastic mesh(used for crab trap bait cages) with 3/8" holes. Still not enough to stop this little guy. He hasn't gone in there yet, I'm just trying to be pro-active. If he gets in there, he'll be sent to the filter bag in a hurry.
Shaun.