PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here from Quesnel, BC?

bassman
04-04-2007, 04:41 PM
We are moving there soon and I was wondering if anybody here lives there.

marie
04-04-2007, 07:58 PM
I lived there 27yrs ago :mrgreen: . I hope for your sake it has improved a whole lot since then :lol:

bassman
04-04-2007, 08:23 PM
I lived there 27yrs ago :mrgreen: . I hope for your sake it has improved a whole lot since then :lol:

Hmmm, what do you mean by that?

marie
04-04-2007, 09:00 PM
When I was there it was a little town built in a hole surrounded by 5 mills one of which was a kraft mill. The bars were to be avoided on a friday night unless you enjoyed a good fight :lol:

bassman
04-04-2007, 09:06 PM
When I was there it was a little town built in a hole surrounded by 5 mills one of which was a kraft mill. The bars were to be avoided on a friday night unless you enjoyed a good fight :lol:

A good fight you say?? hmmm, sounds right up my alley LOL I guess Friday night fights go hand in hand with small towns.

We were there a couple of weeks ago. It's grown a fair bit. Population is 10, 000 plus now, they even have a McDonalds, Canadian Tire and a Walmart, so you know it's going places LOL.

Ruth
04-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I have never seen anyone from Quesnel on this board. There are a couple of people in Prince George and at least one in Williams Lake. The last time I was in Prince George there were a couple of stores that carried very limited salt stuff - a Petcetera and Norwolf Pet supplies.
I grew up in PG but it is beautiful around Quesnel - tons of lakes for fishing or just to enjoy and lots and lots of outdoor activities. I used to go to Barkerville at least once a year just because I think it is so cool there. I did the canoe trip around the Bowron Lakes years and years ago before it was so crowded but I still think this is an amazing journey. Wells is pretty neat too - kind of like a mini Nelson BC where it got stuck in the 60's and never moved on.
Don't be too concerned with the whole "there's no hope beyond Hope" you will hear from the majority of the Wet coasters:mrgreen: Life in the north is great!

bassman
04-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I have never seen anyone from Quesnel on this board. There are a couple of people in Prince George and at least one in Williams Lake. The last time I was in Prince George there were a couple of stores that carried very limited salt stuff - a Petcetera and Norwolf Pet supplies.
I grew up in PG but it is beautiful around Quesnel - tons of lakes for fishing or just to enjoy and lots and lots of outdoor activities. I used to go to Barkerville at least once a year just because I think it is so cool there. I did the canoe trip around the Bowron Lakes years and years ago before it was so crowded but I still think this is an amazing journey. Wells is pretty neat too - kind of like a mini Nelson BC where it got stuck in the 60's and never moved on.
Don't be too concerned with the whole "there's no hope beyond Hope" you will hear from the majority of the Wet coasters:mrgreen: Life in the north is great!

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what P. George had to offer in the way of saltwater stuff, this is why I am taking all my stuff with me. I suppose J&L will be the next best place to purchase goodies, it's only a 8 hr drive!! LOL

We are really looking forward to moving there. It is, as you say a beautiful area with lots of outdoor activities and I have always been a big fan of old, forgotten towns. They have so much character.

We're not too concerned about the "no hope beyond hope" saying, I am sure everything will be just awesome in the North! We're counting on it LOL

Thanks again for the info :mrgreen:

crusty1
04-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Welcome to the Cariboo!

I am about an hour and a half away in Williams Lake.
We used to go up to Quesnel and beat up the Reefers on Saturday nights. Thats why there is none left ;)

There is very ltd reefing supplies in the Cariboo. Total Pet in Quesnel has some stuff. They used to have quite a nice display tank, but it has gone downhill.

I try to make a trip to Abbotsford every couple of months to Hidden Reef and pick up a lot of supplies. I would keep extra if I new someone else was interested.

Chris

Ruth
04-05-2007, 04:07 PM
Shipping is just a way of life up here. OA, J & L and Reef addictions all do a wonderful job in shipping to us out of towners at a good rate and outstanding packing. I have an order from Hidden Reef coming up in the next few days as well.
The one thing I would make sure to have a good supply of is salt as that is expensive to ship because of the weight. I always try to buy at least 8 - 10 pails if I manage to hit sales and have a vehicle.

Delphinus
04-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Just curious, why Quesnel? What do you plan to do to pay the bills so to speak?

My sister-in-law's brother and his wife went to teach in Bella Coola after they graduated. I was insanely jealous of the adventure that they were going to have, although I guess the isolation eventually got to them and they moved to Edmonton after a few years of it. I still wonder some days how neat that would have been though.

bassman
04-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Just curious, why Quesnel? What do you plan to do to pay the bills so to speak?

My sister-in-law's brother and his wife went to teach in Bella Coola after they graduated. I was insanely jealous of the adventure that they were going to have, although I guess the isolation eventually got to them and they moved to Edmonton after a few years of it. I still wonder some days how neat that would have been though.

Why Quesnel? Mainly the property we found there. 5 acres, 4100 sqft house with a massive heated, wired shop and a double garage. EVERYTHING the wife and I have always dreamt of. I am self employed and due to the nature of my business I can work pretty much anywhere I want. So a job is not an issue.

I am sick of life in Calgary. I've lived in and around Calgary for over 30 yrs and I am tried of the "rat race" there is so much more to life then working your ass off just to pay the bills. Quesnel just has so much more to offer in a "outdoor" type of lifestyle.

crusty1
04-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Sssshhh!
Don't tell everyone about how good it is. Everyone will want to move there!
Chris

Ruth
04-05-2007, 11:48 PM
But they get lots of SNOW! - there that takes care of all the buggers from south of Hope.
But there is no Oil and Gas - there all the rest of those buggers from the other side of the rocks are taken care of ............ wait - I'm from the other side of the rocks........ and work in the Oil and Gas industry.......oh well - there is SNOW there.
That otta to do it.:lol: :lol: :lol:

marie
04-06-2007, 12:20 AM
But they get lots of SNOW! - there that takes care of all the buggers from south of Hope....
That otta to do it.:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep that's what did it for me but I must be a slow learner because then I went and moved to oyen Alberta for a year and Grande prairie for 2 years.

I'm never leaving the coast again you guys can keep your winters thank you very much :lol:

crusty1
04-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Whew! Safe from the rif-raf once again. Thanks Ruth! :)

mark
04-06-2007, 02:27 AM
bassman - not sure what you do but sure wish I could pack up and head back west (not sure about Quesnel though:wink: )

andresont
04-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Good place to move out of the big city if you belive in coming global catastrophy eh? Tsunami will not get to you, not too many people fighting for food, you can grow your own food and hunt.
That of corse if you belive in such things.
http://www.thehorizonproject.com/

robzilla
04-06-2007, 03:12 AM
Sssshhh!
Don't tell everyone about how good it is. Everyone will want to move there!
Chris

that's the same for kootenay living. the benefits of 4 seasons, but not as cold you guys up north.
we will have good sledding into late May this year
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/dukabor/Sledding%2006/DSC01358.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/robzilla_01/sleds.jpg

crusty1
04-06-2007, 03:44 AM
Beautiful pics Robzilla. Snow was great here this year too. Here is a pic of some friends up at Yanks Peak. This is up by Barkerville Bassman, some of the best snowmobilling around BC.
Everytime I consider moving to further myself professionally, I look back and think how great I have it here. The city can sure be fun to visit, but I'll take country living anytime.
Chris

bassman
04-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Good place to move out of the big city if you belive in coming global catastrophy eh? Tsunami will not get to you, not too many people fighting for food, you can grow your own food and hunt.
That of corse if you belive in such things.
http://www.thehorizonproject.com/

Bingo! Not the main reason for moving but certainly one of them without a doubt. Thanks for the link, have you seen any of those episodes?

bassman
04-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for all the encouraging words and pics everybody, life will be so much more laid back there, we can't wait. I'd better start allocating some money for a new skidoo though!! Yee Haa!!

Ruth
04-06-2007, 04:30 PM
And quad!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/DSCF0177.jpg
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e384/RuthCh/DSCF0180.jpg

bassman
04-06-2007, 04:38 PM
And quad!

You know it!!!