PDA

View Full Version : Timers for light

supersmile
04-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Does anyone have their light on a timer? What type of timer is good?

04scoobysti
04-04-2007, 02:20 PM
i used to use those homedepot timers, never had a problem with them. I just bought a coralife aqualight timer yesterday, it was super easy to setup for dawn/dusk and moonlights. So only time will tell if it holds up for me. Heres a link to all the different models coralife has http://www.aquatichouse.com/Maintenance_files/Power%20Center.asp
you can get these locally at Aquarqium Enthusiasts, Big Al's, Etc

supersmile
04-04-2007, 04:14 PM
OK thanks! I was thinking about just getting one from Home Depot. I only have one power compact light so I don't think I need anything high tech.

04scoobysti
04-04-2007, 04:29 PM
just make sure you get one with a prong for the ground, always handy to have even if your light dosen't have one.

Todd
04-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I am using a 2 digital block heater timers from Canadian Tire. They seemed to be the most heavy duty, and they had a grounding probe. However they only have one on / off setting per day, which works well for my MH lights, but I have a NO actinic that really dosent add much when the MH are fired up, so it would be nice to be able to shut it off for the hours which my MH's are on to save on bulb life and a small amount of heat. Another problem with them is that they reset after a power outage. Which is fine if you are around to notice but if I were to be gone for a few days it would suck to have a small power outage knock out my lights for a long time!

X-Treme
04-04-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm thinking the right question would be.............

Does anyone NOT have their light on a timer?