PDA

View Full Version : Tap water purifier and algae growth.

BCReefer
01-13-2002, 03:29 AM
I have purchased over the Christmas holidays a water tap purifier. Would this cause any algae bloom in my tank. I have added another fish around the same time so it could be that. I am letting my tank settle down and watch.

I don’t have my water parameters at the moment, doing this tomorrow, but I will post them if necessary. I am more interested to see if the purifier will change your water when you 1st start using it.

Thanks
Patrick

reefboy22
01-13-2002, 04:11 AM
what type is it and what were u doin before they are a very important thing for water changes and top up the algy should go away get back to me with the kind and your perimiters...

reefburnaby
01-13-2002, 04:40 AM
Hi,

I am using a TWP for my water and my 90 is just finished seeing the brown algae stage. I am just starting to see green algae...so...

It is quite normal to see algae when you first start your tank. Typically, it will take 6 to 12 months for your tank to stabalize and complete the three algae stages -- brown, green, coraline. If you are unlucky, you can add red algae (cyano), brown wafer and bryosis to that list.

The slower you run TWP (i.e. its rate for 10 GPH...but I run it at 1 GPH), the better the water quality. So, if you having trouble, slow down the output rate to about 1 GPH or so. Did you check if the TWP is consumed ? You may be in an area with high contaminates.

- Victor.

Gordoe
01-13-2002, 11:40 AM
What kink of tap water purifier is it? Alot of purifiers use carbon.

Anybody ever buy some cheap carbon for their tank and have a bloom of algae?

Not all carbon is Phosphate and nitrate free.... Your purification could possibly be the source of your problem...

I was seeing a bloom everytime I did a water change using my tap water purifier..

Just my 2 cents

Gord

fredfish
01-16-2002, 12:38 PM
Hi Victor. I know the TWP you are talking about. It would not add any nutrients to the water so it would not be responsible for the algae outbreak.

I have converted mine into a DI unit (the media is rechargable after you separate the two types of resins).

Fred.

Troy F
01-16-2002, 12:51 PM
Welcome aboard Fred.

reefburnaby
01-16-2002, 01:53 PM
Hi Fred,

Yah...I know that it won't add nutrients, but if the resin is mostly used up (say 60% used up), then silicates are the one of the first compounds that are not filtered out entirely.

This is one of the reasons why people like to use two TWP in series.

- Victor.

BCReefer
01-17-2002, 04:14 AM
I am going to slow down the filtering and try that. The cannister has only been used for about 20 G so far and I see no discoloration in the cannister yet. i am thinking of adding a few more snail as I only have 6 Turbo snails in a 33G, I also have about 6 - 7 hermit crabs.

Patrick