PDA

View Full Version : algae ID please

fishbait
04-04-2007, 03:48 AM
Can someone please let me know if they think this algae is benefical, benign, or harmful.
Over the last month we have seen a slow increase of algae (green and this red), covering our LR (this is a relatively young tank and we were told to expect this to a degree).
There does seem to be quite a bit of the red stuff now (pictured) and we notice that it even grows on the sand.

We keep our lights on 12-14 hours a day (is that too much?).
Use RO water
10%water change weekly
PH 8.0, Sal 1.024, Am 0 Nitate 0

Any suggestions?

i have crabs
04-04-2007, 04:02 AM
oh boy here we go again

christyf5
04-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Does this algae blow off the rock when you use a turkey baster on it (or a powerhead or something?).

It looks to me like some really wild colors of coralline algae, I find your photo is a bit dark (and small) for a really good ID though. Can you take another shot of it in a different area (one that isn't so convoluted? ie. flatter area?).

I enlarged your photo and lightened it some, its still kind of hard to tell. I still vote for the purple stuff as coralline but I'd keep an eye on the green, it looks like a green coralline to me but you never know, sometimes it can be tricky.

X-Treme
04-04-2007, 06:49 PM
Ummmmmmmm...........Cyano???

danny zubot
04-04-2007, 10:24 PM
I did the same thing as Christy. To me it looks like coraline as well, but i've never seen such a deep redish pink color of coraline.

Matt
04-04-2007, 10:31 PM
I have some of that red stuff in my 10g nano. Not cyano, but not coralline, either. I settled on encrusting sponge and stopped thinking about it. It is soft to the touch.

Of course, this analysis is based on the infallible method of: "If it looks somewhat similar in a fuzzy picture, it must be the same reef organism." Never fails, I tell ya.

Quagmire
04-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Ive had that color coraline,down low or in sort of shaded areas.Im with them on the purple stuff

untamed
04-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Ive had that color coraline,down low or in sort of shaded areas.Im with them on the purple stuff

My vote is cyano.

untamed
04-05-2007, 01:02 AM
...but I would also add my insight of...

"If it grows slowly, it's good. If it grows rapidly, is bad."

Quagmire
04-05-2007, 01:10 AM
My vote is cyano.

nope was coraline

fishbait
04-05-2007, 02:55 AM
Wow - thank you for your responses. I am so impressed that some of you took the time to try to alter the picture for a better look. I am so grateful!

Here are a few more pics if anyone happens to check back on this thread. I took a picture of how it spreads to the sand (in little spots - this took about a week to develop), and another macro of the stuff on the rocks. It grows in the lower part of the tank, in lower current areas.

I like that comment about fast=bad, slow=ok - this was something that has developed over a month... My big worry was Cyano, but I've heard it comes very quickly. If it is some kind of coraline, it is not like any I have seen from pics online.

So if it is somewhere between - is there a point where too much of it can be detramental? How do I curb the growth (I know I could also try to get rid of it completely, but if it's not harmful, I would rather not).

Again.. I'd appreciate your feedback.

i have crabs
04-05-2007, 03:17 AM
this is one of the dumbest things ive seen on here in a while, its not you fish bait just the array of answers when this is without a doubt cyano,now im gonna probably be crappped on for this but if poeple on here with hundreds or thousands of posts couldnt tell that was cyano in 1 second they should try using tap water for a while and start learning about a huge pest in this hobby

Quagmire
04-05-2007, 04:07 AM
ya have to change my vote to cyno.Only the color is the same as I had in my tank,definatly cyno in the last pics

marie
04-05-2007, 04:24 AM
this is one of the dumbest things ive seen on here in a while, its not you fish bait just the array of answers when this is without a doubt cyano,now im gonna probably be crappped on for this but if poeple on here with hundreds or thousands of posts couldnt tell that was cyano in 1 second they should try using tap water for a while and start learning about a huge pest in this hobby

I think you need to chill. The first pics that were posted could of been anything and your first post in this thread was less then helpful. I agree the pics of the sand look like cyano but the stuff on the rocks is the prettiest cyano I've ever seen :lol: ...and yes my tanks have been covered with cyano in the past

Oh and increased flow, skimming, more water changes, change out any old bulbs that are past their prime and less feeding...if it is cyano :biggrin:

X-Treme
04-05-2007, 04:59 AM
I said cyano before, and now I'll say this..............It's CYANO.

demon666
04-05-2007, 06:39 AM
that was my first thought but i have never had it in my tanks so i wasnt going to say anything......... but now more experienced ppl have said so i will tend to agree

Matt
04-05-2007, 02:55 PM
this is one of the dumbest things ive seen on here in a while, its not you fish bait just the array of answers when this is without a doubt cyano,now im gonna probably be crappped on for this but if poeple on here with hundreds or thousands of posts couldnt tell that was cyano in 1 second they should try using tap water for a while and start learning about a huge pest in this hobbyThat's a lot of invective for such a minor issue, isn't it?

bulletsworld
04-05-2007, 05:42 PM

I have to admit though.. :lol: when I started reading this post, I thought the same thing as above. I was thinking it, she just said it. :lol:

We all do that at times. On a positive note, you gotta admire someone for being able to speak their mind. In the end its just ones oppinion, doesn't hurt anyone. :mrgreen:

In getting back to helping "fishbait" with Cyano. Like it was mentioned above, increased water flow with your powerheads, getting a skimmer can help, doing more water changes,having no natural light directly hitting your tank, not overfeeding your tankmates, and cutting down your light schedule :mrgreen:

christyf5
04-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Wow - thank you for your responses. I am so impressed that some of you took the time to try to alter the picture for a better look. I am so grateful!

Here are a few more pics if anyone happens to check back on this thread. I took a picture of how it spreads to the sand (in little spots - this took about a week to develop), and another macro of the stuff on the rocks. It grows in the lower part of the tank, in lower current areas.

I like that comment about fast=bad, slow=ok - this was something that has developed over a month... My big worry was Cyano, but I've heard it comes very quickly. If it is some kind of coraline, it is not like any I have seen from pics online.

So if it is somewhere between - is there a point where too much of it can be detramental? How do I curb the growth (I know I could also try to get rid of it completely, but if it's not harmful, I would rather not).

Again.. I'd appreciate your feedback.

Try to increase the current in the affected areas. You can siphon what is on the rock and sandbed out.

You could reduce your photoperiod as well, most people have their lighting on 10-12 hours a day. I don't know how much that will help though as cyanobacteria isn't fueled by light.

danny zubot
04-05-2007, 06:29 PM
I thought is was a rare color form of coraline, that I've only been privledged to have in small quantities. Oh well, too bad.

christyf5
04-05-2007, 06:31 PM
I thought is was a rare color form of coraline, that I've only been privledged to have in small quantities. Oh well, too bad.

I know, I've had this color as well. Its simply stunning in person. Unfortunately it succumbed to being overtaken by a zoanthid colony :neutral:

bubblepuffer
04-05-2007, 07:10 PM
non of my cleaning crew like Cyno. they just avoid it.. =( found out the only one like sucking out all the Cyno is myself .. 1 tiny Cyno can spread like melted Jello

Joe Reefer
04-05-2007, 11:06 PM
The stuff on the rocks is the nicest "cyano" I have ever seen also.
I like untamed fast/slow idea. :idea: