PDA

View Full Version : d.i.y. food mix

hqgc
04-04-2007, 01:57 AM
I am looking for a good "recipe" that I can get from safeway or a supermarket. My stock list is in my signature below.
I want to try and get away from spending big bucks on food at the LFS.
Thanx.

marcingo
04-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Here is what I used and my fish loved it. I made 2 big ziplock bags full and it lasted almost 6 months (total cost 4 dollars)

Basically I went to the chinese super market in my city. There I got a seafood medley in a bag. Blend it up. I think there is shrimp, octopus, mussels, prawns, oysters in it. I also added some cubes of krill and mysis I had laying around.

Sorry just noticed your from Edmonton- I went to Lucky Mart in China town. You would be surprised how cheap sea food is there.

hqgc
04-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Here is what I used and my fish loved it. I made 2 big ziplock bags full and it lasted almost 6 months (total cost 4 dollars)

Basically I went to the chinese super market in my city. There I got a seafood medley in a bag. Blend it up. I think there is shrimp, octopus, mussels, prawns, oysters in it. I also added some cubes of krill and mysis I had laying around.

Sorry just noticed your from Edmonton- I went to Lucky Mart in China town. You would be surprised how cheap sea food is there.

Is it called a "seafood medley" ?

marcingo
04-04-2007, 03:24 AM
Im pretty sure it is. If you go to Lucky 97 just go into the seafood section and look for a bag of assorted seafood- They also sell silversides really cheap and lots of other stuff. All this is in the frozen section.

But to answer your question I am almost postiive its called a seafood medley.

demon666
04-04-2007, 05:51 AM
could probably get it at the chinese market at west ed too eh????? i need to start doing this too...

EmilyB
04-04-2007, 06:22 AM
Try some searches, here's one place to start.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=127076

justinl
04-04-2007, 06:24 AM
when you buy frozen from the supermarket please be absolutely sure the stuff is uncooked and unflavoured. Most frozens in a bag also have stuff as preservatives and something thatbasically fills the food wit water to make it fuller. If you can avoid these preservative and water thingy do so. But be warned that they are very common.

You should also be sure to thoroughly wash the frozens before mixing or feeding or whatever. A common trick in the frozen food trade is to dip the food in chlorine to kill bacteria and stuff. harmless amounts to humans may remain, but these small amounts can be detrimental to our fish and inverts. that's why you should wash it.