PDA

View Full Version : Mushroom fell off

likwid
04-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey guys,

I purchased a small piece of live rock with a couple mushrooms attached to it. They are both fairly big, and have opened up very nicely. I woke up one morning and one of the mushrooms detached from the rock and is laying on the sand bed. It is still alive, and opens up nicely when my daylights are one. What does this mean, and how can I attach it back to a rock? Sorry for the newb questions, this is my first coral purchase.

christyf5
04-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Mushrooms don't have to be attached to rocks to thrive. Often this is how they move about, they detatch and let the currents carry them to their next destination. However if you'd like to attach it back onto the rock you can lightly strap it to the rock with a string or elastic band. Be careful that it isn't too tight over the mushroom or the mushroom will just split around the elastic band or grow into it. It should attach to the rock in a few days :biggrin:

Midknight
04-03-2007, 04:53 PM
However if you'd like to attach it back onto the rock you can lightly strap it to the rock with a string or elastic band. Be careful that it isn't too tight over the mushroom or the mushroom will just split around the elastic band or grow into it. It should attach to the rock in a few days :biggrin:

This is also a why of cloning them. Tie the string firmly and it will force it to split.

christyf5
04-03-2007, 05:08 PM
This is also a why of cloning them. Tie the string firmly and it will force it to split.

But then you have two mushrooms floating around on the sandbed :razz:

04scoobysti
04-03-2007, 05:24 PM
..or you can stick one of those pins with a plastic ball on the end ( so fish dont injure themselves) and cut a piece of an elastic band into a small square and stick the pin thru the elastic and thru the mushroom into the live rock or what ever you want it to stick to. Snug the elastic down the pin to keep it in place. Couple days should do the trick! or if you want more mushrooms you can just cut it with a utility knife into 4 pieces and do the same with a pin and elastic.