PDA

View Full Version : Stupid GBTA

Kronk
04-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Well the 10" green bubble tip anemone has found its way into the powerheads again... i dont even have sympathy for it anymore, it only moves every few months and it is always directly into a powerhead.

This time it was completely in it no tentacles visible so i unplugged it and went to work. There are green tentacles all over my tank the anemone doesnt even seem to mind, its as big as ever except for most of its tentacles being stubby from the haircut it gave itself.

My concern is the tentacles will start to rot and cause an ammonia spike in my aquarium as its only a 20g. I cant possibly get to all the bits of tentacles is this a big deal? i dont know how much meat there are to the tentacles anyways ?

Thanks, Oh and anybody want to buy a monster with a fancy new hairdoo ?

andresont
04-03-2007, 12:31 AM
Well the 10" green bubble tip anemone has found its way into the powerheads again... i dont even have sympathy for it anymore, it only moves every few months and it is always directly into a powerhead.

This time it was completely in it no tentacles visible so i unplugged it and went to work. There are green tentacles all over my tank the anemone doesnt even seem to mind, its as big as ever except for most of its tentacles being stubby from the haircut it gave itself.

My concern is the tentacles will start to rot and cause an ammonia spike in my aquarium as its only a 20g. I cant possibly get to all the bits of tentacles is this a big deal? i dont know how much meat there are to the tentacles anyways ?

Thanks, Oh and anybody want to buy a monster with a fancy new hairdoo ?
The best way is to live it alone with the power head turned off for three days and it will find its way out by itself. If you forse it out you will damage it. Also might be a good idea to install a protection on the power head intakes.

justinl
04-03-2007, 12:33 AM
yeah a mesh net or something around the powerhead would go far! sounds like you got an emo anemone... fun:wink:

Kronk
04-03-2007, 12:34 AM
yeah a mesh net or something around the powerhead would go far! sounds like you got an emo anemone... fun:wink:

HAHAHA yah i just wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself...

justinl
04-03-2007, 12:36 AM
LMAO! kronk you don't go to SFU do you? a long while back, that line was in our school newspaper... hahaha oh god I never laughed so hard while reading the school newspaper.

andresont
04-03-2007, 12:48 AM
I am trying hard to figure out what is so funny.?

Emo (slang)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emo_(slang)

Stereotypical emo fashion, portrayed in the style of common American signage; the words on the shirt are a parodic amalgamation of several band names.Emo is a somewhat ambiguous, controversial slang term most frequently used to describe a fashion or subculture which is usually defined to have its roots in punk fashion and subculture, as well as some attributes of gothic fashion and subculture.

justinl
04-03-2007, 12:56 AM
wow this thread got sidetracked.

okay first of all I want to apologize to anyone who might find the following offending. I don't mean any offense. when we say "emo." we mean "emotional". and when we say that in this context we mean those kids who sit in their rooms listening to punk and... well... cutting themselves. see why this conversation could get a lil awkward? *nervous laugh*

Kronk
04-03-2007, 02:35 AM
Never went to SFU i heard that from a buddy of mine a while ago but that is a rad newspaper headline, Yes it got side tracked but i dont care it was worth a laugh, awkward, no i dont think there are any of them here EMOs can barely keep themselves alive let alone fish...

badump bump

Beverly
04-03-2007, 03:44 AM
I don't know how to say this without sounding like a butt head, but, dang, it's not the anemone's fault if it gets stuck in your powerhead. ALL powerheads need to be anemone-proofed if you've got anemones :rolleyes:

andsoitgoes
04-03-2007, 05:23 AM
I don't know how to say this without sounding like a butt head, but, dang, it's not the anemone's fault if it gets stuck in your powerhead. ALL powerheads need to be anemone-proofed if you've got anemones :rolleyes:

lol - it's never their fault, but damn it's frustrating when they roam around the block and get a good "SLURP"

Unfortunately I had completely reorganized my powerheads thanks to my anemones, and I have a super tight screen on my MJ1200, yet still it found its way and snuggled in right next to the screen, and about 3 tentacles were schmucked in my new CLONE. I was so happy that it cloned, not so happy that the clone wandered. Oy.

demon666
04-03-2007, 06:42 AM
we can only do so much to protect them...... they are just like kids...... can teach them right from wrong but they still have a mind of their own and will still get into sh*^

justinl
04-03-2007, 07:49 AM
... and when the metaphorical sh** hits the metaphorical fan (impeller), we dowhat we can to nurse them back to health and try not to let it happen again.

if they don't learn to avoid impellers, we must learn to block them from getting into impellers

demon666
04-03-2007, 06:15 PM
lol i do metaphoricaly agree

danny zubot
04-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I'm metaphoricaly wondering what a 10' anemone is doing in a 20 gallon tank anyway? The tank sounds a bit small to me.....metaphoricaly of course.

Kronk
04-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Yah, thing with anemones is they grow... thats why i was thinking of selling it ...seems that its the least bit concerned with getting about half of its tentacles shortened its plump and eating. The one reason i havent sold it yet is because the clowns are hosting it and i would really like to keep them, but without the nem i think they would get stressed

justinl
04-05-2007, 01:04 AM
clowns are fully capable of living without a host. it just makes for cooler pics and when showing off to friends if the clown is half inside the nem. another option is a surrogate host. Might want to look into that.

edit: metaphorically speaking of course.

Kronk
04-06-2007, 02:27 AM
clowns are fully capable of living without a host. it just makes for cooler pics and when showing off to friends if the clown is half inside the nem. another option is a surrogate host. Might want to look into that.

edit: metaphorically speaking of course.

what would a surrogate host be?

justinl
04-06-2007, 03:20 AM
a surrogate host is just another coral that the clown chooses to host. what would be a good choice? well according to GARF, clowns are not picky and will pick a variety of stuff to host like shrooms, Brain Corals, Elegance Corals, Xenia, etc... but the best surrogate host by far is sacophytons (aka: Toadstool or Gold Crown or leather coral)

http://www.garf.org/39/fish/pict.html

Kronk
04-06-2007, 04:26 AM
thanks for the link, that clownfish looks IDENTICAL to mine

demon666
04-06-2007, 05:34 AM
dont forget about frogger

Kronk
04-06-2007, 07:25 AM
frogger ? frogspawn ? i heard that actually stings them... a guy on nano-reef said his clown started hosting a frogspawn and got little black sting marks all over for its trouble

justinl
04-06-2007, 07:29 AM
when you say frogger, do you mean frogspawn? as far as i know, they're different from toadstools. i is confused

Snappy
04-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm metaphoricaly wondering what a 10' anemone is doing in a 20 gallon tank anyway? The tank sounds a bit small to me.....metaphoricaly of course.
Please don't confuse me with the "reef police" because I believe we keep animals for our pleasure not theirs, but nanos are meant to keep small stuff in.:razz: On another note I had a clown that hosted with my wall "ancher" hammer and there was no harm done. If they choose to host with an open brain they do a lot of damage to the coral.

Kronk
04-06-2007, 04:38 PM
WOW i didnt notice before but your absolutely right a 10ft anemone has no right being in a 20g tank, thankfully mine is only 10"... all kididng aside when i got the nem it was much smaller it has grown very rapidly because i do not starve it to keep it small like many people in the hobby do. I am upgrading to a larger tank but it is not suffering in the small tank... if the water quality is perfect and it doesnt move often then what is the difference betweeen a 20g and a 200g its not like it can see how small its tank is ???

Snappy
04-06-2007, 05:41 PM
WOW i didnt notice before but your absolutely right a 10ft anemone has no right being in a 20g tank, thankfully mine is only 10"... all kididng aside when i got the nem it was much smaller it has grown very rapidly because i do not starve it to keep it small like many people in the hobby do. I am upgrading to a larger tank but it is not suffering in the small tank... if the water quality is perfect and it doesnt move often then what is the difference betweeen a 20g and a 200g its not like it can see how small its tank is ???
I wondered how you squeezed that 10 footer in a 20.:lol: You stated that it moves every few months and straight into a powerhead. There isn't much difference to the anenome other than when in a 200 it can move several feet without getting in trouble and in a 20 it can get into trouble by only moving inches from where it was. I was only giving a matter of fact statement and not trying to be like it probably sounds.

Der_Iron_Chef
04-06-2007, 06:07 PM
Nice to read that article about the sarcophyton/toadstool leather hosting clownfish. My tomato clown recently started hosting in my toadstool, and although I'd heard of it happening, wasn't aware of the success rate. Woot! *crosses fingers*