PDA

View Full Version : LFS handling livestock

hqgc
04-02-2007, 04:00 AM
For some reason one lfs here in edmonton insists on handling the fish with there bare hands when bagging them. I bought a squirrellfish at the south side shop today and the kid just had to use his hands to take the fish from the net to the bag. I sold them a frontosa once and a different guy just used his hands to put the fish in the tank.
I think this is un-necessary and I don't know why they are taught to do this. I.M.O. the least physical contact the better.

justinl
04-02-2007, 04:04 AM
sell them a lionfish! then see what happens!

Salmon King
04-02-2007, 04:18 AM
It does less damage to the fish then a net.There is nothing harder on a fish then getting stuck in a net.It/s just like sportfishing.I use my hand when ever possible .Make sure your hand is wet though.

justinl
04-02-2007, 04:28 AM
I don't believe hand handling is a good thing. If you want to avoid nets, use a rigid container. That's what I do as much as possible.

I do agree that getting stuck in a net is a very good way to get injured.

Salmon King
04-02-2007, 04:44 AM
I agree but a wet hand is better then a net.

justinl
04-02-2007, 04:53 AM
true. just be sure that your hands are very clean, but only rinsed with water. soap or any antibacterial hocus pocus can be a terrible thing for some marine stuff.

midgetwaiter
04-03-2007, 08:27 AM
I don't see the big deal either provided you are responsible about it. Getting a fish from the net to the bag / cup is where most accidents happen, it's safer to pick them up. If you have your hands in and out of tanks all day they are going to be pretty clean too.

I'll sometimes catch spiky stuff like plecos by hand and skip the net all together.

fishmaster
04-03-2007, 03:30 PM
To reflect on Salmon Kings point. A net can also remove alot of a fishes slime coat, leaving it open to possible infection. Not sure how much this applies to aquarium fish, but definately true for catch and release fishing. Maybe the ridgid container idea but with small holes drilled so it could move through the water would be ideal?
Shaun.

Joe Reefer
04-03-2007, 04:31 PM
I ussually try to use my hands, unless its a venomous fish or has sharp pokers.

Has anyone ever been stuck with a walleye spine, I hear it can be very painful.