PDA

View Full Version : Where to get tank drilled?

findingnemo1
04-02-2007, 12:53 AM
HI there

I am looking at getting a 90 gallon. And if i can't find one that is drilled i will have to get it done. Where can i get that done in Calgary? Also i am thinking of close looping it so what is the best plan for that? I am new to drilled tanks so not sure how to go about it all. It will be a sps dominated tank.

Thanks
Craig

Kabong
04-02-2007, 02:59 AM
Just so you know the bottom of the 90g's are generally tempered glass.
So unless you get a "reef ready" tank you'll need to get it custom made.
There are a few good custom guy's out your ways.
I'm sure some one closer to home can point you in the right direction.

Delphinus
04-02-2007, 05:42 AM
If you order from a store they will be able to set you up with any drilling you need on the tank, all you'll do is take delivery of the tank.

If you end up buying used and need to have the tank drilled after the fact, again, again the stores might be able to help you out, but I could help you out for 5/8" holes (float valve), 1.75" holes (1" bulkhead) and 65mm holes (1.5" bulkhead). Or you can order the drill bits off ebay or mops.ca, generally around $20 per drill bit but you should also have a cutting oil and a little doo-dad to keep the cutting oil in place while you drill.

findingnemo1
04-02-2007, 04:10 PM
If you order from a store they will be able to set you up with any drilling you need on the tank, all you'll do is take delivery of the tank.

If you end up buying used and need to have the tank drilled after the fact, again, again the stores might be able to help you out, but I could help you out for 5/8" holes (float valve), 1.75" holes (1" bulkhead) and 65mm holes (1.5" bulkhead). Or you can order the drill bits off ebay or mops.ca, generally around $20 per drill bit but you should also have a cutting oil and a little doo-dad to keep the cutting oil in place while you drill.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that:)
Having a hard time finding anywhere that isn't a 2 month wait or not taking orders at all. Going to see if i get a response off here if not i will have to get an undrilled tank and try my hand at it. Never done anything like this so hopefully i will not shatter it in the making. That would tick the wife off i am sure:)

Craig

Canadbis
04-02-2007, 10:07 PM
OH yes breaking a tank does tick the wife off. Ticked me off more.
Have you tried talking to Wayne at Riverfront? I know they cut and drill glass. I am in talks with him about cutting and drilling a new bottom for the 92G corner I just broke